Estimate of plumbing materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder claims he used 120m of 15mm pipe and 60m of 22mm pipe for partial re-plumbing of my semi-detached house, but provided receipts for just a half of this amount.

Is this estimate realistic?

The property is average sized semi-detached house, he plumbed one bathroom, one shower room, three rooms downstairs, extension with combi boiler, 7 radiators / towel rails. There is no plumbed UFH.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
How can we know?

How do you know what he might have had on stock? I have hundreds of metres of pipe and cable, many thousands of pounds worth of heating controls and boiler spares. You would never find the correct receipt for them if you tried.

Anyway. .. 60 metres of 15mm and 30 metres of 22mm is hardly an earth shattering amount.

Comparing it to a similar job I'm on with where I have got through 175 m of 15mm and 15m of 22 for a combi with 7 rads Bathroom and en suite and a kitchen all along the same wall that does sound a reasonable estimate to me.

That is without the piping for the boiler which in my case happens to be 25m of 10mm as it is oil fired.

If you want to get your tape measure out don't forget to add up to 10% for waste although I think 5% would be more reasonable on a job of that size.

Can i assume you are nitpicking over goods because the builder has done terrible job which you are not happy with?

To add to what Dan said, plumbers will carry thousands of pounds worth of stock, we deal with the retailers/merchants/manufacturers and the receipts they gives us are for our records only, we then write our own receipts for our customers.

The reason for this is based on current legislation and is for the end users benefit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Of course, I do not expect him to give me the receipts for everything. However, I do not trust him, so I have to check everything to make sure I am not overpaying for his list of "extras".

Your guess is correct, the reason I do not trust him is that he made multiple mistakes throughout the project and is in denial about them.

Frankly, a receipt is irrelevant. What is to stop him producing a receipt for materials used elsewhere - or even returned?

Did you agree a price or a quote? If so just pay it. Surely the actual copper pipework cant be an "extra"?

If not why not? Surely you didnt say go on get on with it and bill me at the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back