Cost of installing 9 radiators, looking to compare against quoted price

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have to chuckle at this. You will never get a quote online ,it’s never going to happen,Without looking at your house it’s impossible,you won’t get a decent plumber to be able to fit you in quickly as you want as everyone is so busy. To put it into perspective,if I was in your area and you phoned me up I could fit you in for a quote on Friday evening and then I wouldn’t be able to fit you in till middle of feb for a job like that. ( most plumbers I know are really busy) Not only that I would never take on a job where the customer has purchased everything and then asks me to fit it. (Your not the plumber here so do you know the correct stuff to buy,quantities etc) I would sit down with you and advise which rads I think would be best suited to your home,set up etc. (Then you could purchase them) . The time frame he has given you seems a very long time to be honest. The only way you will get realistic quotes is to do as someone else suggested and get people round for quotes not seek them online.( plus you can take the floors up and down again really quick,you will fill the walls back in after the pipe work goes in) and you can provide most of the parts. (So you request a quote online for half a job) done ASAP because it’s so urgent. All I will say is GOOD LUCK !

Last edited:
I have to chuckle at this. You will never get a quote online ,it’s never going to happen,Without looking at your house it’s impossible,you won’t get a decent plumber to be able to fit you in quickly as you want as everyone is so busy. To put it into perspective,if I was in your area and you phoned me up I could fit you in for a quote on Friday evening and then I wouldn’t be able to fit you in till middle of feb for a job like that. ( most plumbers I know are really busy) Not only that I would never take on a job where the customer has purchased everything and then asks me to fit it. (Your not the plumber here so do you know the correct stuff to buy,quantities etc) I would sit down with you and advise which rads I think would be best suited to your home,set up etc. (Then you could purchase them) . The time frame he has given you seems a very long time to be honest. The only way you will get realistic quotes is to do as someone else suggested and get people round for quotes not seek them online.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. You seem to have completely mis-understood though (or maybe I wasn't clear enough).

I am not looking for a quote online, I am just trying to see if I am being ripped off or not.

The radiators / valves were not specified by me, they were the ones required by the air-source-heat-pump company based on their specifications. Middle of Feb would no problem for the install, it's not THAT MUCH of a rush.

Your second post said you didn’t have time to wait for quotes due to the urgency of the project. Please don’t take this as a dig or anything but you WOULD have to wait. The plumber who quoted you has looked at your house,he has seen the size of every room,he has seen your flooring,your walls,he has worked out how much pipe work he needs,he has seen the calibre of your walls,he has seen what set up you have at the moment. I am not completely mis-understood. You asked for a rough cost. There is no rough cost due to the nature and size of the job. It could vary massively dependent on so many factors. If a customer asks me for a rough cost then I give the same answer every time I say “no I can’t give you a rough cost but I can give you an accurate quote”.

Your second post said you didn’t have time to wait for quotes due to the urgency of the project. Please don’t take this as a dig or anything but you WOULD have to wait. The plumber who quoted you has looked at your house,he has seen the size of every room,he has seen your flooring,your walls,he has worked out how much pipe work he needs,he has seen the calibre of your walls,he has seen what set up you have at the moment. I am not completely mis-understood. You asked for a rough cost. There is no rough cost due to the nature and size of the job. It could vary massively dependent on so many factors. If a customer asks me for a rough cost then I give the same answer every time I say “no I can’t give you a rough cost but I can give you an accurate quote”.

Fair enough, I will get another quote then. I didn't realise the cost could vary so dramatically, I thought it would be possible to quote to within +/- £800 or so.

Fair enough, I will get another quote then. I didn't realise the cost could vary so dramatically, I thought it would be possible to quote to within +/- £800 or so.

As I said ,it wasn’t intended as a dig. You could be completely right regarding it being a rip off but it’s impossible to tell without looking at the job visually. If I said to you what would you be happy to pay for that job what would you say?

As I said ,it wasn’t intended as a dig. You could be completely right regarding it being a rip off but it’s impossible to tell without looking at the job visually. If I said to you what would you be happy to pay for that job what would you say?

To be perfectly honest, it's not really about the amount of money involved. I can't do much about the market rate, I just want to avoid being taken advantage of by an above-market rate price. So if the market rate is £2000, or £2650 or whatever, that's what I will pay, I just don't want to be paying 30-50% extra for no reason.

To be perfectly honest, it's not really about the amount of money involved. I can't do much about the market rate, I just want to avoid being taken advantage of by an above-market rate price. So if the market rate is £2000, or £2650 or whatever, that's what I will pay, I just don't want to be paying 30-50% extra for no reason.
So you are seeking the market rate for doing the job you request. The only way you will get a valid answer is to get quotes off plumbers coming into you home. What I will say is 10 days seems a very long time to do the job you require.
Get numerous quotes ,cheapest isn’t always best. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. I hope you get it sorted mate and again ,it wasn’t a dig.(y)

I don't think the plumber has said it's 10 days, from what I read the op guessed 10 days based on a labour rate of £250 per day

Yes, I calculated the number of days by guessing the day rate. They may well be charging me for 5 day @£500/day, although that would seem extremely steep.

Yeah, that was me trying to figure out if that's what he was quoting. There seemed to be around 10 days (two working weeks) or labour within the quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back