ESWA ceiling heating thermostat and controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have recently moved into a flat that has ESWA ceiling heating but haven't been left any instructions or information about it, and there isn't a huge amount of information available online, so wondering the best way to use it?

We have dials (thermostats?) as pictured in each room and a high-low switch, and you can feel the panels when they are on, but we aren't sure exactly how to control them. Does anyone know what the numbers on the dials mean? Are they similar to radiator thermostatic valves e.g. the 3 will self-regulate at come on and off to keep a room a certain temperature? Or are they just levels of power?

Finally what does the high-switch do?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3544350_b4aaaf8e90.jpg
    3544350_b4aaaf8e90.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,561
Sponsored Links
It's a while since I saw one of these installations, but I believe that they are thermostats. If you hear a single click as you turn them up or down then that would indicate that they are thermostats, rather than selecting a level of power.

With radiant heat, you can feel warm even if the air temperature is cool. For example, if you are in a room that is 18 degrees you may feel cool, but suddenly the sun shines through the window and immediately you feel warmer, but the room temperature won't have changed. As ESWA ceiling heating utilises radiant heating I suspect this is why their thermostats have numbers rather than show a temperature.

Personally I would set the thermostat to its maximum setting and then when you feel you are at a comfortable temperature turn the thermostat down very slowly until it clicks off, then leave it set there, then if later on you find it too warm or too cold adjust it by tiny increments until you find it maintains a comfortable temperature for you.

It comes from the 60`s, I had a flat with the same once, found it next to useless and expensive! If it is still working then turn the stats up all the way and you can feel warm and cold spots in the ceiling as the wires loop around much like under floor heating loops do but UFH doesn`t have layers upon layers of paint reducing the output.
Being leasehold I added removable rads with glyco mixture in them which cut the costs in half for +twice the heat.

I got that one, in a house built 1987ish near Dartford :)

The way I understand it after 2 years of using:
1) scale 1-5 increases the temperature from 15*.. so 1 would aim for 16, 2 - 17, .. 5 - 20
2) but if you switch to High on the main switch, it adjusts the base temperature to 20*, and then again 1 would be 21.. 5 would be 25

But that's in theory, kind of works like that - just have a play with it!
It's quite ok concept, one thing that annoys me in winter though that it's colder under duvet than on top of it :)

(and as mentioned above, when you hear it making a loud "click" noise it goes on, otherwise it's off)

Sponsored Links
I have a similar system in the flat I'm moving into
Slightly different controls in each room

How did you get on using it so far

I was thinking of putting rads (oil maybe) on the walls instead but like the way you have full wall space available with this

Attachments

• 20220713_171344.jpg
    20220713_171344.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 104

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back