Fitting spotlights to a ceiling with ESWA ceiling heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new flat, which has ESWA ceiling heating installed.

I'd like to replace the existing pendant lights with spotlights - have just purchased this.
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=042086

When I opened up the box I realised I'd have to screw it to the wall, but on my thermostat it says not to pierce the ceiling.

However, there is a a spotlight plate already in the Kitchen.

Does this mean I can drill into the ceiling up to a certain depth, or is there another type of fitting for spotlight plates I can buy?

Any help?

Sponsored Links
on my thermostat it says not to pierce the ceiling.
That makes sense, if you've got ceiling heating. Which doesn't make sense (ceiling heating, I mean), as hot air rises. If you have a flat below you you've also got underfloor heating paid for by them.

A more bonkers system it's hard to imagine.

Does this mean I can drill into the ceiling up to a certain depth,
More likely to mean that, in the same way people tend not to have CH radiators in the kitchen, you don't have ceiling heating there.

What are your existing ceiling lights in other rooms like.

What you must not do is pierce the heating foils.
Ideally you need to be hitting the joists with the fixing screws or if your luck the fixing points maybe the same as the existing fitting.
It's possible that the installer of the heating system, has made provisions and left enough space to allow for replacement/upgraded fittings of different sizes to be installed.
But would not bank on it!
Is there by any chance that a ceiling plan of the installation was left, with any electrical documents that belong to the house? or do you have the contact details of the installer? as they should know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

All of the other rooms have standard pendant lights.

I'll see if I can find a plan or the installer's contact details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back