ethernet card or usb ?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
If your ethernet connection says that the firewall is on then I personally would be happy with that- the xp firewall is very basic but sufficent given that the new modem/router will have a firewall built into it as well.

Sponsored Links
Quite pleased really as I was expecting all kinds of problems as the phone socket I use is an extension.. (6mt) :(
Given that there could be a few miles of copper between you and the exchange, and that adsl modems split the frequency range of the line into many distinct bands, and then test and use only the best ones, a small extension shouldnt make too much of a difference. If you've wound it round and round the microwave on the other hand.. ;)

The modem is a D link dsl-2640r. As it says firewalled I presume I dont need to switch my firewall on, even thaough It is 'wired' ?
The firewalled text is put there by WIndows XP firewall, which may be active regardless of your own firewall (e.g.Norton). Due to the way routers (the d-link) work, a computer behind a router is not directly contactable by the outside world so it provides a basic level of protection against attacks. A more sophisticated firewall on your computer can stop outgoing conenctions, so even if your computer is infected with a virus and is attempting to infect others or attack internet sites, the software firewall will block it.

Sponsored Links
Back