ethernet card or usb ?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

Hi if a p/c has no ethrnet port (like my 7yr old ) Is it acceptable to get a usb adaptor (whatever that is :oops: ) Or do you prefer to install a pci card to go wireless broadband?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways - are you wanting to go wireless or wired?
For wireless you may install a wireless PCI card or use a USB wireless adaptor. For wireless you'll need a wireless modem router.

For wired you can use an ethernet card connecting to a modem router via ethernet cables or use a USB modem (which IMO are poor).

Or are you talking of the wireless broadband which is linked to mobile phone technology?

Thanks spark.
I am going over to talk talk soon, I have not got the free Wireless router yet so dont know what type I'll get :oops: I'm not too savvy in this area but have been using wired b/b (bt voyoger 150) for several yrs. no prob.

Seems talk talk only supply wireless router/s.

Not linked to fone technology stuff :eek: :LOL:

What I was asking for really is opinions on usb adaptors v installing a card/connection (to internal pci slots.) which might work better.

Hope this makes sense... Thanks

If you get the option on the talk talk modem to use Ethernet, get a card & use it as it's a lot faster than USB. (So I have been told)

Sponsored Links
Hi Mattylad

I have a 7 year old as well, but upgraded 4 years ago to new mobo with ethernet socket.

I tried USB and found it too slow, so best wud be to have a pci card fitted.

Hope this helps

I had the same issue and found the pci-ethernet cards were only £5 !
I have talktalk but my pc is connected to the lan1 port. My daughters use wireless laptops.

Can't fault talktalk myself, although I believe they get a poor customer service rating.

In my personal opinion, here is my preference:

1, Ethernet
2, Firewire (Not very common)
3, Usb
4, Wireless

Never use wireless unless you have to. USB is too software driven compared to Ethernet, which is a good 'ol stable connection.

In a strange kind of comparison, Ethernet is like an 80's car, where everything is mechanical and if there is a problem you can generally see it, whereas USB is like a brand new car, where everything is run off the ECU. If there is ever a problem, its usually a software issue. ;)

Thanks all..Makes interesting reading.

My freee talktalk router came today.. Its a d link DSL2640r. If that means anything.

going live next week :eek: so if I dissapear.

So. My pc has no ethernet ports. I have usb ports (2.0 pci card) But Sounds like best way is to get an ethernet pci card for a reliable performance (?) and stay wired.
The ones I looked at seem only to have an ethernet port. If wanted to go wireless( just to try it) would I need to add anything else to pc.Or will the card pick up signal (nah :?: ) :confused: Or do I have fit a network card with an antenae as well.
Sorry for daft questions......... ;)

john

Hi John,

My pc has no ethernet ports. I have usb ports (2.0 pci card) But Sounds like best way is to get an ethernet pci card for a reliable performance (?) and stay wired.

In that case, unless you are doing anything other then general home internet usage, USB should be fine. No need to spend the extra on ethernet. Most Broadband companies expect you to use USB which means most of the step by step instructions and support are written for USB.

If wanted to go wireless( just to try it) would I need to add anything else to pc

Yes, you would need to buy a wireless pci card for it. I have never bought or used one, so can't make any suggestions or even guess at a price.

:)

I prefer the opposite, ethernet is 10x better than USB for connecting to broadband. There are a number of issues with windows Vista and USB modems. I think almost all the modem routers out there are Ethernet now?
My opinion it would be better to install a £5 ethernet card than mess about with USB, if you are wanting wireless either use a wireless PCI card or a USB wireless adaptor.

Thanks for the advice. Now realise that wireless routers can do wired :oops: :rolleyes: . Off to Maplins in morning.. Thanks for your patience ... ;)

I guess that I am a day late but I too would recomend a pci ethernet card, if you have not got it yet then get a 1000mbs card rather than a 10/100 card-

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=NE-P1000RJ4

Although faster than the router it will future proof you.

whilst I hope that you have no problems I must say that Talk Talk are the worst ISP that I have ever had to deal with. I have had to throttle packet sizes for dozens of customers. Actually I guess Talk Talk make me richer :D

With regard to wifi- there is only one decent usb wifi client and that is the parabolic Hawking unit. On old laptops I prefer pcmcia(cardbus) and desktops pci

Hi if a p/c has no ethrnet port (like my 7yr old ) Is it acceptable to get a usb adaptor (whatever that is :oops: ) Or do you prefer to install a pci card to go wireless broadband?
Thanks

Your broadband options are:

Q: Use broadband on one computer?
The broadband provider should give you a USB modem you connect to your PC and the phone line

Q: Use broadband on more than one computer?
->Q2: All computers are wired/you have no interest in wireless?
Buy either a USB ethernet card or a PCI ethernet card. USB is much easier to install but may perform slower. In theory a 480Mbps USB2 card is faster than a 100Mbps ethernet card but if your PC only has USB1 ports at 12Mbps, copying large files to other computer on the network will take a LONG time. Also, if you are getting 24mbps broadband, using a USB-Ethernet option that is limited to 12mbps(because of slow USB) or 10mbps(because of slow ethernet) means your computer literally cannot download info from the router faster than the broadband delivers it.
You don't need a wireless router.. You can get away with just a router that has ethernet ports, and an adsl modem (for the broadband)

->Q2: Mix of wireless, or all computers are wireless?
Ensure you get a suitable router with ethernet ports, giving you the choice to connect your old computer by wired (buy an ethernet card, of PCI or USB depending on USB port speed) or wireless. Using a USB wireless card is very easy, and allows more free positioning for better signal strength. Beware the USB1 speed caveats as above but given that most wireless only goes to 54Mbps under perfect ideal conditions (never achievable), a slow usb port won't affect too much. If you have 24mbps broadband, you might find that in some areas of the hosue your wireless cannot deliver 24mbps so your connection is bottlenecked on your wireless rather than the broadband
For this opption buy a wireless router that has ethernet ports too, so you can wire some and wireless others.

If you have a cable modem, or cable broadband these normally work via ethernet so you'll connect one ethernet port on your router(possibly marked UPLINK or WAN), to the cable modem or set top box. If the cable co only provided you with a USB cable modem, nag them for something better. Some routers exist that have cable modems built in, but not all cable networks support or allow them

Just to update and thanks for input..

I fitted a ethernet pci card, and left ethernet cable connected so left it on wired and its goin like a new pc..lol.
Quite pleased really as I was expecting all kinds of problems as the phone socket I use is an extension.. (6mt) :(

I was a bit suprised at the set up only taking a few minutes but seems all passwords are built in by talk talk and all is done by default with the supplied disc.
The modem is a D link dsl-2640r. As it says firewalled I presume I dont need to switch my firewall on, even thaough It is 'wired' ?

Thanks again all.

Sponsored Links
Back