Ethernet requirements for Ring Elite Doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on buying the Ring Elite for my new front extension project. I already have Cat5e to the front for my existing CCTV camera with PoE, so two pairs already used up from this one cable. I'm hoping that the Ring Elite only needs two pairs too, so I can use the remaining two pairs from my CCTV camera cable.

Does anyone have one of these cameras and can confirm how many pairs it requires?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
not used it but has the option for wifi also, contact ring technical and ask them.

Contacted them via Live Chat - the operator didn't know the answer first hand, but she came back after speaking to a technician and said to use all four pairs. Not taking their word for it however. It's not a problem feeding a another cable to the door, was just curious to know.

Why bother to ask them if you are going to ignore what they say, they only manufacture the item, so what they know.

Sponsored Links
Why bother to ask them if you are going to ignore what they say, they only manufacture the item, so what they know.

Because I asked for an explanation to their answer and they said they don’t have that information, and they said that it came with a 50ft Ethernet cable and that cable must be used, not any other. If it MUST be used then how different is that to a regular cat5?!

Hikvision IP cameras that I had only used two pairs, so I was able to use the remaining pairs for powering an external mic, thereby utilising the same cat5 cable by splitting the wires at the end. Anyway I am going to do it properly and install new cabling and terminate near the door

Same as the alarm trade, there is special cable for specific jobs.

An ethernet cable, is an ethernet cable - is an ethernet cable, and they can be made up yourself with the right crimper and fittings. I reckon you got the standard crap answer because they didn't know anything more detailed. The first responder on the live chat had to got to tech support for an answer, but may not have understood the response, or even manage to find one, so you may have got a fob you off with an easy answer response.

You'll need to get hold of tech support themselves, and maybe even higher up the chain to get the answer you wan't. Or you can knock up a test cable, and see which pairs are being used.

Exactly. You are spot on. Hence I don’t take their word for it that it needs four pairs to work. It might do, but their answer didn’t convince me 100% that they were sure.

It is possible that 4 pairs are needed, 2 for transmit and receive of the video, and 2 for transmit of the voice; it'll depend on how they've done the circuitry as to whether it's interleaved in the door unit, or the power unit that connects to the router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back