Euro Cylinder Cam not aligned (key not coming out after locking)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Yale Euro Cylinder Lock to replace my old lock. After removing the old barrel and fitting the new one I realised that the key doesn't come out when the door is fully locked. Basically, the key cannot return to the vertical position it needs to be in, in order for it to be removed. It requires lots of force to do so and it feels like I'm fighting the mechanism. If I were to lock it, I risk not being able to unlock it. This was definitely not the case with my old barrel. I compared the two to see if there are any differences. The only thing that stood out, was the position of the cam when the key was removed from the lock. As you can see below, my original barrel (on the right) has the cam at the 7 o'clock position with the shorter length (35 mm) facing me. The new barrel (on the left) however, has the cam at the 5 o'clock position with the shorter length facing me.
In order to test out if this was the problem, I fitted the new barrel the other way around. Originally, the shorter length of the barrel should be fitted as the internal door side for the lock to be used correctly. But to test if my hypothesis was correct, I fitted the shorter length of the barrel as the external door side. This definitely looked weird, but the door did lock correctly without any issue.
As this is the case, I am extremely confused whether or not it is the door, my lock replacement ability and/or the new barrel which is at fault. I've scoured the internet to find a way to change the position of the cam, but haven't found anything useful. Any suggestions I did find, involved the cam being completely out of alignment in a 11 or 1 o'clock position. The tips there would help bring the cam back to the original manufactured alignment and not a brand new one.
Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. The length of the barrel is 90 mm with the external and internal length being 55 mm and 35 mm respectively. Is a 55/35 euro cylinder the same as a 35/55? Here is the link to the product I bought: http://goo.gl/drSpDc

Thanks All,

I hope my problem and question make sense.

1 of 2.jpg
2 of 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you look at your photo, the cams are facing different ways so a 35/55 lock would make the cam the wrong way around.
You need to replace like for like.

Mike

Ahhh okay. The amazon site stated "If you measured 35mm and 45mm, or 45mm and 35mm, then the size you should choose is 35/45.", so I assumed that 35/55 and 55/35 would not make a difference. Thanks for the help. Better go return this now and order a new one.

Measure from the screw hole to the outside face of the door and from the hole to the face of the inside of the door........then measure again to confirm.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Well that's what I did. Not sure if you're genuinely trying to be helpful or just being condescending. Either way, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back