Euro cylinder alignment problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a functioning "keyed both sides" Euro cylinder with a "thumb turn" version (to enable easier escape in case of emergency). The lock is fitted in a uPVC door with multi point bolt fastening. The lock has worked OK for a couple of weeks, but now refuses to work properly.
The cylinder mechanism still rotates OK, and engages the bolt if fully turned, but has to be rotated back around 20 degrees to extract the key. At this point, the bolt becomes been disengaged. The mechanism operates fine if the cylinder is rotated using the thumb turn (from inside).
I have put back the original cylinder -the door locks fine with key from either side.
I have compared the two cylinders and note that there is a difference in alignment between the cams on the two cylinders. Looking from outside, the cam on the original cylinder is aligned at about "8 o'clock" with the key removed. However, the cam on the new cylinder is aligned at around "11 o'clock". i am not a locksmith, but suspect this may be causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
yes the cam is in the incorrect position,have you had extra keys cut? if the nose of the key is slightly too short it can cause the cam to slip.other than that the new cylinder is faulty and needs returning for replacement

Hi,

Your assumptions are spot on! I have indeed had another key cut, and had problems getting a good fit. I bought the replacement thumb turn cylinder from Toolstation (who don't cut keys), so I'll take it back & buy (another) replacement from a locksmith, complete with spare keys, so at least I'll have some comeback if it happens again.

As a matter of interest, is there any easy way of getting the cam back into the correct alignment?

Thanks for you help - much appreciated!

Yes the cylinder can be part unassemble to put it back to its correct position but as a locksmith,i wouldnt try it yourself,you dont want to end up getting locked out.

Sponsored Links
Do the original keys work ok with the thumbturn? If not, I'd say the cams the problem, not the keys. The cam shouldn't be at 11 o'clock with the key extracted. If it's slipped - throw it away, as it'll happen again.

Also, does this door have a letter box fitted? If so, then think about fitting a restrictor over it to prevent hands/implements reaching through and opening the thumbturn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back