Replacing a euro profile cylinder and having tons of trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from New York City. I have an apartment with a balcony, and the balcony door is aluminum frame with a multipoint lock and euro cylinder (knob inside, lock outside.) It's a CES brand cylinder, 63mm overall length. 30/30 split. The cam itself is 9mm wide.

I have small children and the apartment is on the 14th floor, so for safety's sake I want to lock the door with a key on the inside.

These euro cylinders are uncommon in the US. I special-ordered a 65mm overall length 33/33 split double cylinder from Mul-T-Lock. Cam is 8mm wide.

I removed the original cylinder with some difficulty and put in the new cylinder. No luck - the cam will not turn freely in the lock and engage the latch. Moreover, when I put the original cylinder back in the lock, it won't turn freely and engage the latch, either! I was careful to put it back correctly and line everything up.

So did I break my multipoint lock, or am I missing something critical that will allow me to make this work?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dan

Sponsored Links
To remove a cylinder you have to have the key in the lock and once you unscrew the locking screw you then turn the key a fraction until the cam aligns and you can withdraw the cylinder. Fitting a new one is the same but in reverse. It is very straightforward usually so try pulling the door handle either up or down to retract the shoot bolts and start the procedure again from the beginning.
If that fails then it may be that something has gone astray with the mechanism and a locksmith may be needed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to remove the original cylinder and replace with the new as you described, but for some reason the cam does not turn freely (neither the old cylinder's cam nor the new cylinder's cam.) I will try to turn the door handle and see if that retracts the shoot bolts (what are shoot bolts?).

I am afraid that I may have damaged the mechanism. I can manually move the latch mechanism when the cylinder is out of the door by pressing on it with a screwdriver, so I know the latch does still move ; just not sure why the cam won't move to engage it. I have centered the cylinder properly so that shoudn't be the issue.

Update. removed and replaced the new cylinder, turned the door handle both way the full distance multiple times. No effect. Still can't engage the latch with the cylinder cam. The cam seems trapped in place, not able to rotate more than a little bit.

Sponsored Links
Loosen the euros fixing screw, if it's to tight it can cause it to be stiff, also loosen the door handle screws, if the euro is slightly twisted it will not move freely

Loosen the euros fixing screw, if it's to tight it can cause it to be stiff, also loosen the door handle screws, if the euro is slightly twisted it will not move freely

Genius! I loosened all the screws on the multipoint lock and the thing began turning immediately.

Next time you're in Manhattan, the first round of beers are on me :D

glad it worked, been to new york once but if i go again i will be sure to pm you :)

glad it worked, been to new york once but if i go again i will be sure to pm you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back