Evacuation of High Rise Flats

What would you do

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you were advised that your building was not safe in the event of a fire, would you decide to move out immediately, until the building was made safe?
Or would you decide to stay and make your own evacuation arrangements, bearing in mind that you may be on floor 20 or whatever?

Has Camden Council acted responsibly?

Sponsored Links
Camden council will blame the Tory government for the confusion due to the "lack of national funding to support a declared emergency situation". Just waiting for Corbyn to have his say!!

IMO there is a bit of overkill going on, moving everyone out when its been fine for years "just in case".
How long are they going to be out now? Where are they all going to go?

It's a Knee jerk reaction.

and make your own evacuation arrangements

I'd make my own evacuation arrangements.
Keep about 100m of wire rope in the flat and just abseil down the building to get out. North,east,west or south sides. I'd have a choice and wouldn't be paying heed to anything the authorities have to say.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
its was the correct decision, so yes i would leave. know one, knows what tomorrow brings, they were told its unsafe, you have to act on it, regardless.
its inconvenient, but there alive and safe, first priority.
God forbid if there was another fire like Grenfell.

After the tragic loss of people at Grenfell, hopefully, lives will be saved, with all the fire safety upgrades, awareness, and building reg, changes.

During the fire brigade strike 2002, temporary fire stations were established by the military which involved portable portacabin accommodation set up at key locations with immediate access to (then green goddess water tankers). If councils are that worried about unsafe tower blocks, they could easily mitigate the risk by placing regular firefighters and their vehicles at the affected housing estates.

The evacuation by Camden council of their tenants without notice,late in the evening with the threat of physical removal by the police only goes to instill further fear and uncertainty.

If councils are that worried about unsafe tower blocks, they could easily mitigate the risk by placing regular firefighters and their vehicles at the affected housing estates.

That is the sensible thing to do.
But with all this talk about criminal charges and jail sentences being brought against those in authority and deemed responsible for Grenfell I expect they are cacking themselves and thus covering all the bases.
And there's only so much they can blame on the tories.

Camden suggested moving fire appliances to be near tower blocks but the fire brigade said that wasn't sufficient .

I'd make my own evacuation arrangements.
Keep about 100m of wire rope in the flat and just abseil down the building to get out. North,east,west or south sides. I'd have a choice and wouldn't be paying heed to anything the authorities have to say.
Have you done much abseiling?
Do you have a climbing harness?
Have you ever used one?
Do you know of any additional 'bits of kit' to improve the use of harnesses?
BTW, wire rope is not used for abseiling. :rolleyes:
Would you be in a position to instruct and guarantee the safety of your family (including small children) and any guests that may stay over?

Last edited:
It's a Knee jerk reaction.
Complete knee jerk reaction from Camden council.
Suppose a private landlord has been advised that their recent refurbishment of their 'let' property has placed their tenants in real danger, and that possible criminal charges are being considered in a recent tragedy. Along with that advice you are informed that your tenants safety cannot be guaranteed.

Is it a sensible, pragmatic approach to safeguard your tenants, or a knee-jerk reaction?

Have you done much abseiling?
Do you have a climbing harness?
Have you ever used one?
Do you know of any additional 'bits of kit' to improve the use of harnesses?
BTW, wire rope is not used for abseiling. :rolleyes:
Would you be in a position to instruct and guarantee the safety of your family (including small children) and any guests that may stay over?

https://skysaver.com/rescuebackpacks.html

Excellent stuff, B'nB
is capable of securely lowering anyone to the ground who weighs between 66 and 264 pounds at a safe speed of three to six feet per second.
https://skysaver.com/about-the-technology-behind-skysaver
We will assume a descent rate of 1 - 2 meters per second.
Grenfell Tower was 67 meters high:
The Grenfell Tower fire, which started on 14 June 2017, was the deadliest in Great Britain since the Second World War, resulting in many casualties and severe damage to the building. This high-rise fire occurred at Grenfell Tower, a 24-storey, 220-foot (67 m) high
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire
So anyone using this system would have had to endure over a minute passing through the flames, smoke and cyanide gas given off by the flammable materials.
Except that this system is only good for:
It is resistant to temperatures of up to 302 degrees Fahrenheit
Not a great deal hotter than the boiling point of water then.
Additionally, abseiling requires a degree of training, all to be accomplished in a situation of high stress!
And of absolutely no use to youngsters, babies and disabled, or even those that cannot understand the instructions. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, may be,, I think :whistle:

reportedly :sick:

we coold have sum test run's.....(n) ;)

I do not suppose any non-survivors have ever brought a case against them for selling defective goods. :unsure:

Get real!

Last edited:
North,east,west or south sides. I'd have a choice and wouldn't be paying heed to anything the authorities have to say.
That would require that your neighbours were willing to let you into their flat and open a window. Amd then there are wannabediy's comments about abeiling to consider.

https://skysaver.com/rescuebackpacks.html

I met a chap who had use something like that in an evacuation trial back in the 1990's. he suffered from a lot of bruising and abrasions as he bunped down the side of the building.

Sponsored Links
Back