Ever come across "no suction" walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Come across a new problem I've never seen before... forget low suction, the wall I'm working with has none at all.

Did the usual 50/50 pva prep couple days ago and the mixture still isn't dry on the wall. It's dry in parts (where I've put in some bonding) but over this "white stuff" it's still completely wet. Absolutely no suction to it at all.

No clue what this stuff is. Looks like some sort of white paint.

I may have to dot and dab (if possible?) or batton the walls but doesn't look like I'll be able to multifinish over the top of it ... not convinced it will grab at all.

Anyone seen this before? Any idea what it is? Pics attached.

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 20170104_202117.jpg
    20170104_202117.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170104_202110.jpg
    20170104_202110.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
It might be the old wall paper paste that was left on when the walls were stripped.. Throw a drop of water on it from a brush and see if it just runs off..

Hey bud

Water is running right off. I sprayed with some water and it ran straight down

Ta
Chris

Could it be that whatever you did with the PVA you perhaps did wrong or you mixed it wrong - apply first coat & allow to dry, apply second coat and begin to spread when it goes tacky.
However, if you had somehow activated the adhesive(s) on the wall while attempting to clean them off then the PVA might have been rejected?

Sugar soap and sanding?
Prepping on such a background might be painful - would it be better to hack off to masonry and start again?
I dont like D&D - but it would be risky anyway if the board adhesive didn't take?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back