Everbuild Woodworm treatment? + Permethrin on dining table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got some woodworm in our dining table which needs treating. The table has been oiled/waxed/stained/varnished (not sure which) in the past. It DOES water stain and mark quite easily. But we just tried putting a droplet of water on it and it remained beaded on their for a couple of minutes.

As such, I'm not sure whether the boron water based products will be suitable and am looking into the Permethrin solvent based products.

I wondered if anyone could share an opinion on whether it would be a bad idea to use it on a dining table. We use place matts (and plates!) so there's no direct food contact. But it is in the kitchen and we do eat off it.....

Any other advice would be great.

Also, this product is a lot cheaper but I don't think it is based on Permethrin (there's just a lot of long words in the Safety Data Sheet). Anyone used it? Any opinions?

Pics attached.

Many thanks

Max

PS - the table has metal legs and the top is only 1cm thick so is easily removable for application outdoors.

Sponsored Links
What makes you think the woodworm is active.
Looks like a very old infestation to me.
Unless you are seeing new flight holes and beetles emerging I would leave well alone.

Thanks for the link pinenot, good info.

@anobium. The underside of the table has a lot of much fresher holes (sharp edges). And there is a a lot of frass coming out of the holes when I tap it. So I think it is active....

Sponsored Links
RE: the Everbuild product. Here's the Safety Data:

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/image/data/MSDS Wood Care/Lumberjack Woodworm Killer iss1.pdf

The active ingredients:

M-PHENOXYBENZYL 3-(2,2-DICHLOROVINYL)-2,2-DIMETHYLCYCLOPROPANECARBOXYLATE

(say that after a few pints)!.... are listed almost verbatim here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/perm.htm

So perhaps it is Permethrin based after all. It's certainly a whole load cheaper than other brands..... Any thoughts from those in the know (or those in white coats)?

Cheers

Thanks for the link pinenot, good info.

@anobium. The underside of the table has a lot of much fresher holes (sharp edges). And there is a a lot of frass coming out of the holes when I tap it. So I think it is active....

They would appear fresher and clean, just the same as the underside of floorboards, dust and dirt is unlikely to clog the flight holes.
Frass will come out of most holes if you tap the timber. This is not an indication of activity.
On another point the surface of your table top has obviously been either run through a planer or sanded as the tunnels of the infestation are exposed.
Normally you would just see the flight holes.
This is another reason why I suspect that your top has been treated previously

you may not like this but its not exactly the nicest looking piece of wood is it?

Beauty, eyes, beholders, and all that jazz! It's precisely the appearance of the wood which is making me go to this extent to preserve it and make it safe. As the photos show, it is quite unique looking, and that's why I don't want to replace it with anything else.

Many thanks for your time and help and the useful info.

stick a load of floor boards together,then distress the the thing to a point your happy with.
get your kids to throw darts at it,that way it looks like worm holes,hit it with a steel chain? stain it then replace onto frame.
jobs a gooden.

I agree with the earlier post, dump it, and pick up a solid wood table from a local auction, and refinish it. Cheaper than buying new wood. No rudeness intended but that table looks like a piece of sh... And assuming you convince yourself you have killed any woodworm, how on earth do you polish and clean it? It can't be hygienic.

My neighbour used to know an 'antique' dealer. One of his tricks was to fire a shot gun at a piece of furniture to create 'woodworm' holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back