evohome - start small...worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
seen a few posts recently about evohome. seems the general consensus (such as it is on here :)) is that it's very good.

so, I need to get a new programmer for my new (replaced) system and I'm wondering if it's worth starting with evohome even though I can't really justify getting all the kit on day 1

I'd start with ONLY the pretty controller system (THR99A1000) - I'd stick with the hwc stat I have (danfoss atc) and two honeywell motorised valves.

later, I'll obviously add the evohome cylinder stat and the TRV heads, prpbably bit by bit as I can sneak in a few orders behind her back - but is there an issue with ONLY using the programmer (THR99A1000) with what I already have?

I think so from what I've read today, but be nice if someone who has experience of the evohome stuff could confirm.

I know I won't be getting even half the benefits of the evohome, I know that, but I need to buy a new programmer and don't want to waste money on one to later throw it away when I do move to the evohome.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Fine to start with the base unit on its own. Then add hot water control.

However.... be careful as you have an unvented cylinder IIRC and it needs wiring a certain way to be safe.

Also, when you add the rads, do the whole system (excluding bathrooms IMHO) or none at all.

Fine to start with the base unit on its own.

I had (falsely) assumed with this base controller I could hook it up to my existing cylinder thermostat and existing 2 port valve for hot water. i.e. there would be a switched live output to control the hot water too (even though I don't have the evohome hwc thermostat yet)

So with JUST the controller, I can use it to control my rads since it has within it a room thermostat, but I cannot see how I can connect it to my existing (danfoss) hwc thermostat and 2 port valve - do I need another BDR91 (or obviously buy the evohome hot water pack) ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Evo base and boiler relay will do the heating, hot water would need Seperate time control until you add the hot water kit.

yep, thanks Lee. it all makes sense now. I'll order the hot water kit as Dan suggested initially.

I'm new to this, but I have it all hooked up to my iphone now so I can needlessly change the heating for absolutely no reasons whatsoever!

what power I now wield with my phone!! ;)

PS

I doubt I'll ever use the iphone interface....

finished work and now had a chance to look at the kit in some detail. it all makes sense, apart from the wiring of the BDR91

I did some searching and found a thread of 2011 when someone was asking a similar question but not specific answer (or at least I want to double check)

why do I need to connect manually from L to A using a (small) dedicated wire?

what I mean is, why is this just not always connected as part of the PCB?

update: ok, got it. it's for where A is sometimes supplied separately, say from a combi

I've just read some pretty heated debates on here about wiring a BDR91 from around 2013 - so perhaps I delete this question.... ;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back