Evolution 255mm rage3 bargain

My axminster was the bottom slider and that what I had to do I don't know the new design. That was good and did last a few years then just burnt out. It the newer design, well they are all different from mine as the sliding mechanism is higher. So really suggest you phone the SIP people or Toolstation as they are both helpfull. I have and thats was part of my research asking questions. But what you say is interesting as its something I have always done and hadn't thought about. Will let you know when I set it up as it is arriving today and depending how I feel as I live on morphine and severe pain. I will be setting it up by the end of tomorrow, then I will notice the difference in the way it cuts. I buy machinery to help me do the cutting as its difficult and painful. Mind you the health and safety would be having fits as I am using machinery on very heavy doses of morphine. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sooo, it looks like it only tips one way - b*****r!

The Rage looks like it'll only tip one way as well. I think I'll wait some feedback from Tony. His saw is due to turn up today.

the motor needs to be mounted higher up to allow the blade to tip both ways
like the dw 742 i have[the 742 only tips one way but gives you the idea]
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=1626

i only paid around £480 for mine
it seems a lot off money but its a flip saw as in it does chop saw you turn it over and its a table saw so 2 for the price off 1 lol

Sponsored Links
Sooo, it looks like it only tips one way - b*****r!

The Rage looks like it'll only tip one way as well. I think I'll wait some feedback from Tony. His saw is due to turn up today.

Hi Therms, just got it up and running and it is as I thought cutting one way. But, I think you will find thats the norm in the price range you are lookiing at. You will just have to turn over the wood as I have done to do your compound mitres. Its not really a big deal just a little thought.

I have been experimenting as you do with a new toy and I am pleased I made the decision to buy this. Its very versatile and it seems the angles cut very well as I checked that out to see if they need adjusting. The blade runs slower than others that is because of the blade and cutting metal as well. Thats not a bad thing as it will allow the machine to last longer as its not screaming away.

Choice is yours, I made mine and at the moment touch wood it is going to do the business. At the reduce price its got to be better machine in my opinion than the SIP

I tried the Erbaur and it was awful. I've got a Rage but it's not dead accurate. I usually end up sawing by hand or with a Skillsaw..

I think the cheaper ones need some adjustments. I have just gone round mine and checked all the levels and found them fine as there areas you can tweak. I will say that when I did a 45deg cut the bar that holds the clamp is to high and I shaved off quarter inch and its much better. Time will tell

Thanks Tony,

Great feedback. I’m about three weeks from treating myself and it looks like it’s the Rage for me.

Does it have the depth of cut to mitre a skirting board?

Any other comments now you’ve played with it over the weekend?

eBey, which I hate, has some Dewalt saws on there that are second hand and not too expensive. I’m always on the fence with buying something like this unseen and untested, but a £400 saw for £150 aint too bad.

It has enough depth for the skirting board and more so your fine. As has been said before you will need to check it and adjust and tweak the angles. I had set squares on mine and I site the angles correctly. The manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves that with the precise cutting tools they have they can't get angle right. It just amazes me when they know that people rely on for that very reason. Its cut is a tidy job as I have been cutting teak, its an old teak table someone through out and its lovely wood when you took the top off. I just don't know how you can treat wood like that, but it was to my advantage. I get all my wood from the recycling tip, they don't mind here and have had some lovely pieces from old tables ect. Just cut them down, strip them and you have some great usable wood.

Anyway, I did find the sliding mechanism longer than the old one and have had to use a folding work station permanently up now and bolted. At least it can be carried outside now as a whole thing if I have very long pieces like floorboards/skirting boards although I think those days have been done now.

You did miss the free postage with Tesco by the way. It ended this weekend and that would have save you a couple more quid.

Morning Tony,

I'm off buying the saw this weekend and just wondered how you're getting on with your recent purchase before I get one.

Hi, you are very cautious and thats good. Its going great, have had to do some adjustments as the alignments are out a bit, but thats sorted. As for cost and what you get for the price I would still say its the best for under £200. And, I would say buy it

Yes, I am cautious, and it’s not very like me. It’s just that I’ve bought so many rubbish tools in the past that I got excited about and inevitably felt let down by. I plan to pend £200 ish of my hard earned money and I want to be pleased with the saw and not let down by it. I’d also like to keep it for a long time.

The other reason for the caution is that I need it to do a good job. I’m spending a lot of money laying an oak floor and it would be a shame if I messed it up because the mitres on the skirting were rubbish.

Thanks for the time you’ve taken to give feedback.

I have been doing finer work than that on it and its fine. I have been building a bench and other things and all have worked well. Oak floors will be a doddle with it but do ensue the angles are right and if nec set them yourself. And, if not satisfied all ways send it back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back