Evolution Mitre Saw : Is the clamp any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my mitre saw - and need one with a decent clamp for picture frame making. Is this Evolution R255SMS 255MM saw any good - and does the clamp do its job well?

Thanks

$_57.PNG

Sponsored Links
The clam is the least of your worries. I have an Evolution Mitre saw but not a sliding version. There is so much play in the mechanism that it would be useless for picture framing. Go somewhere you can handle one and see how much play it has.

Can't complain too much about mine as SWMBO used to work in B&Q and got it discounted to £5! The blade is worth several times that!

Would I be better off with this saw - it's about £100 cheaper as well - maybe the same saw even? I only need to be able to cut 4" /100mm

ae235

Sponsored Links
The sliding mitre is fine.

The clamp is as usual probably not the greatest.

I'd advise to pop to a shop with them on the shelf and have. Look.

The new Evo saws are a lot better than the ones before it.

The sliding mitre is fine.

The clamp is as usual probably not the greatest.

I'd advise to pop to a shop with them on the shelf and have. Look.

The new Evo saws are a lot better than the ones before it.
Do you think the clamp would be sufficient to prevent wood from moving?

I have an R210SMS and agree there's too much slop for picture frames. Don't most picture framers use a guillotine for a really clean accurate cut?

https://www.lionpic.co.uk/workshop/frame-making/mitre-guillotines/
Yes, but have you seen the prices?

Also I believe guillotines can crush softer woods, such as obeche (which I use).

I generally make my frames from scratch, and finish myself. So can fill if needed. But I would like to minimise bad cuts. I've been finding that the moulding is shifting during the cut, if hand held. I can't find a clamp to fit my old Rexon saw - so will buy a new one with a clamp. Looking now at 2nd hand because these saws are all out of stock at the moment.

Would I be better off with this saw - it's about £100 cheaper as well - maybe the same saw even? I only need to be able to cut 4" /100mm

ae235

I have one of these. Absolutely no problem with it & it cuts 4 x 2 effortlessly. The clamp is just adequate in my humble, but I rarely use it.

Was tempted to get the sliding saw, but it was just too big to be portable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back