Ex Cooker 30A radial circuit to be used for kitchen sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As title really, I have a mess of wiring in my kitchen left by the previous owner, all loose cables, inacessable sockets loose under the cupboards being used as junctions and wrapped in insualtion tape, etc etc. All of this is part of the ring main (a couple of sockets are spured off that too).

I need to tidy this up.

However, I have noticed under another cupboard, there is a redundant cooker socket, on it's own 30A radial circuit.
Is it advisable to reclaim this circuit and use it for the (3 double, one single) kitchen sockets? (I will never own an electric cooker.)

Also, some of these loose cables run behind the (gas) cooker, I really don't want to chase these into the plaster, is it permissable to tack these to the surface, thinking about the potential heat radiated by the cooker...?

Hope you can help,

Sponsored Links
Why not hook it up to some nice underfloor heating, tile it over that would be useful!
Our last owner added a gas cooker and did the same, but added a double socket instead. When I came to work on the ring I nearly got a shock :eek:

I wouldn't use the 30A radial for the kitchen sockets, as you will have trouble getting 2 lots of 6mm cables into each socket (if it is 6mm). Also, you may open a can of worms if there is a fault on the cooker circuit that you don't know about. If you find your existing ring is suitable for your kitchen circuit and just needs tidying up, then do that and blank off or remove the cooker supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back