ex council house riddled with lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have recently installed a bathroom for a young couple who bought the house from sheffield city council. All of the cw and dhw supplies internally are run on lead... I replaced as much as i could get to within the requirements of the job that I was carrying out and replaced with copper.
CW to all taps are on direct mains fed and the stop cock is also on lead from the water authority stop cock. Its obvious that other more recent work has been run on copper.

What are the legal requirements of the house vendor with respect to 1950's built houses with lead pipe. Being ex council I would have thought that they would be responsible for updating ie removing lead and replacing with summat that wouldnt have sent the Romans doolally?????

What would be the sticking points of selling a property conatining lead given that the new vendors package must detail all defects or causes for concern for prospective buyers?

Sponsored Links
?I thought you could get a grant to replace lead pipes on drinking water? Ask your water supplier and council.

Sponsored Links
Is the lead replacement scheme still in operation? I'm in the middle of buying a place with a lead main, was wondering if the scheme is still in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back