Exam results down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing this goverment has got right (and it makes me choke to say that) is getting tough on the exam standards. Over the years pupils really have had it easy and since the changes the lastest results show it . Maybe these results will now wake pupils and teachers up a bit .

Sponsored Links
Ahhhh the poor old gradute wannabe's will have to do a job where they get their unspoilt soft little hands .......dirty ? Perish the thought. How truly terrible.

Sister in law recently graduated, now working for car giant on 18k and is moaning about the wage!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!! :confused:

Going to take a lot more years of getting tougher before they are as hard as my O'levels were in 1970 sommat.

And I got a CSE as they were doing an experiment to see how they compared to O levels. A grade 1 naturally :) :) In Latin.

And my mrs calls me an old git so there's nowt you can say to hurt me.

Sponsored Links
Sister in law recently graduated, now working for car giant on 18k and is moaning about the wage!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!! :confused:

If I had graduated I would want a lot more than £18 grand too.

That's the problem. There are degrees, and there are degrees. Many people study non-vocational subjects, (eg. history, geograhy, etc) but don't have any idea what they want to do when they graduate.

The biggest confidence trick Nu Labour pulled on the young, was that they were all going to get a long list of watered-down qualifications, a degree and then a good job. Delaying tactics to keep them off the unemployment figures, possibly.

Out of interest, what subject did your sister in law graduate in?

Problem there is careers teachers in schools bull the system up far too much. They'll turn kids heads with stories of graduates on £40,000 a year (omitting the part where these people graduated donkeys years ago, and are only now commanding such money). They'll also tell kids that graduates have the job market at their feet. (when the simple truth is, they don't)

Dunno how they can be upset about exam results going down. What did they expect? Year on year improvement forever? What would happen come the year eveyone passed with A stars?

chapeau";p="2491388 said:
Going to take a lot more years of getting tougher before they are as hard as my O'levels were in 1970 sommat.

And I got a CSE as they were doing an experiment to see how they compared to O levels. A grade 1 naturally :) :) In Latin.

And my mrs calls me an old git so there's nowt you can say to hurt me.[/quote

in somnis

The grade threshold for a pass (C) for example has been raised politically by 2% so no wonder rates are down.
Have a word with Mr. Gove Esq - PITA of his parish who knows nowt about education and therefore proposes that kids should be taught as he was :eek:
One dangerous man.
John :)

Many post 16 subjects are only offered on the condition that a Grade C at English has been achieved. Is is pretty obvious that by engineering a decrease in the number of students attaining this grade, a decrease in the number of students intending to take up certain courses will also be affected. Meanwhile, the number of students attaining sufficient grades at mathematics has been maintained and quite possibly increased. No surprises which way the powers that be intend to "force" students areas of study.

I've always said exams are getting easier rather than kids getting cleverer but try telling that to a teacher :rolleyes:

So now standards are being beefed up and I agree with that. What is a great shame though is that the children are pawns in the game. Utterly unfair for those getting results today that are below those that were acheived last year purely because marking has toughened up. But never mind because us lot that left school in the late 70's have seen how our results have been diluted in front of our eyes by those children that are cleverer than us and who have worked much harder ;)

but then back in the 70's etc results meant something......

Sponsored Links
Back