excel consumer unit

Sponsored Links
I agree, the circuit is just fine and changing the RCD for a 100mA is
1. not a way to fix the fault
Indeed. The interesting/confusing/surprising thing is that the MIs seem to imply that the coooker may have a leakage current >30mA even in the absence of a fault!
2. contravenes the wiring regulations 2008 + numerous amendments.
[I'm only aware of one amendmend to BS7671:2008!] Again, indeed. However, as we were discussing yesterday, this is a case in which complying with BS7671's requirement to 'follow MIs' would result in non-compliance with other parts of the regs, or vice versa!

Kind Regards, John

The MIs do not make sense either way.

If the appliance has leakage over 30mA then it is not fit for purpose in a domestic situation.

If they were to instruct that the appliance must not be fitted on an 30mA RCD protected circuit then it could not be fitted, or rather would not work, in a domestic situation with new circuits.

Apart from, for example, an electric shower, where it is advisable, although there are no exposed conductive parts except maybe a copper pipe, the RCD protection is for the circuit and not the appliance.

The MIs do not make sense either way.
Agreed - but, as discussed yesterday, there's nothing in the regs which says that one doesn't have to comply with MIs if they don't make sense, or even if they are plain 'wrong'!
If the appliance has leakage over 30mA then it is not fit for purpose in a domestic situation.
In terms of 'gut feelings', that certainly sounds right, but I'm not sure that it stands up to much electrical scrutiny. Provided that the location is equipotential, even massive earth leakages shouldn't represent a hazard, should they? As pointed out, the practical issue is that if the circuit and/or wiring is such that the regs require 30mA RCD protection, then an appliance with a leakage >30mA will not work on that circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you missed the point that this 'new' machine was built around 2002, according to its manual, so the 16th edition would have been in force at that time.
I haven't got access to a copy but were the instructions regarding 100ma RCD correct at that time.

Not sure if you missed the point that this 'new' machine was built around 2002, according to its manual, so the 16th edition would have been in force at that time. I haven't got access to a copy but were the instructions regarding 100ma RCD correct at that time.
No, I haven't missed that point, but I don't think it alters much of what has been said - other than, I suppose, that the MIs may have 'made more sense' if (which I very seriously doubt) a 100mA RCD protected circuit had been acceptable at the time.

Like you, I don't have access to 16th ed., but I find it very hard to believe that 100mA RCDS were ever acceptable for anything other than achieving the required disconnection times in TT installations. For good physiological reasons, 30mA RCDs seem to have been the norm for well over 30 years.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back