Excel question

B

breezer

I am making a "spreadsheet" in excel, i have seen it done (many moons ago) where say for example the first 3 colums are names, and the rest what ever, but you can scroll along the what ever and the names stay where they are. A bit like frames in a website.

I would google for it, but i dont know what its called, or does anyone know how to do it?

Sponsored Links
Don't you just hate that?

Anyway you can never have enough information.

Sponsored Links
Bazdaa said:
Don't you just hate that?

Anyway you can never have enough information.

I dunno, my missus can give me too much most of the time. (Glad she's not watching :LOL: )

Breezer, it's called 'to split' your sheet.
Highlight the row under the last row you want to stay put. (Say row 1 to 3 has to be 'freezed', highlight row 4)
On the menu go to Window and clikc on SPLIT and voila.

WoodYouLike said:
Breezer, it's called 'to split' your sheet.
Highlight the row under the last row you want to stay put. (Say row 1 to 3 has to be 'freezed', highlight row 4)
On the menu go to Window and clikc on SPLIT and voila.

Both of these work. The neater one however is freeze panes, and is held in place. Using the split option can get a bit confusing, as the information can move!

Your right, Bazdaa.
Postings didn't make clear if Breezer had found what he was looking ofr, so I thought I would give it a try ;)
Must say I use splitting more than freezing, cause normally I need to split the sheet in four parts (horizontal and vertical) in large files, or need to be albe to scroll in both parts.

Ye, I know what you mean. I think it also depends on what your trying to do and target audience (sometimes you need to keep it basic).

Breezer now has 2 options. As I said before you can never have too much information.

I know I know OH YES YOU CAN.

Take a close look at your right hand and lower slide bars.
Drag the little 'bar shape' to your required position .. then freeze panes if necessary.
Arrows point to the bar shape ... hover mouse, cursor changes shape then drag the 'bar' to wherever ... both horizontal and vertical bars.
excel-1.jpg

Failing all that click on HELP and search for freeze Panes... Other useful stuff appears.
;)

Thank you all :) I have spent the last few hours "fine tuning" what i was doing in excell, and your suggestions were the icing on the cake

As we are talking of excel here, I noticed that the datepicker function is missing on the PC's at work since they changed to excel 2003 from 97 before it was done using a bit of VB script but i'm led to believe it's supposed to be a function of 2003? I've tried the advice from other forums in looking at control toolbox and then more which brings up a scrolling dialog with several options but nowhere is date time picker visible? is there another (easy) way to get this function in a spreadsheet?

Do you mean the 'sort' function Kendor, where you select hwo your details are ranged (by choosing the appropriate collum or collums?)

kendor said:
As we are talking of excel here, I noticed that the datepicker function is missing on the PC's at work since they changed to excel 2003 from 97 before it was done using a bit of VB script but i'm led to believe it's supposed to be a function of 2003? I've tried the advice from other forums in looking at control toolbox and then more which brings up a scrolling dialog with several options but nowhere is date time picker visible? is there another (easy) way to get this function in a spreadsheet?

Date pecker? an Egyptian chicken?

Sponsored Links
Back