Excessive electricity consumption 3 Bed House.

Sponsored Links
But with a clamp meter to verify 0A (0W) with the main switch off and the electricity meter still registering 0.8kWh the OP would feel quite confident when tackling SSE.

To all the valuable contributors, this is the present situation.

1. Check meter due to be installed Monday 10th May,2013.

2.I have continued monitoring electricity meter overnight still using 2,or 3 units overnight - only Fridge/Freezer in kitchen and upright Freezer in garage still plugged in.

3. The monitor gadget I used on both the above appliances showed Cost ranging from 83p to £1.18 pence energy usage 2.7 watts for each appliance over 2 nights measured. But without a base line I cannot as an layman determine if this is reasonable. Can anyone offer an informed opinion on this?

Will keep you all posted - don't go away - Thanks.

GRBASF

2.I have continued monitoring electricity meter overnight still using 2,or 3 units overnight - only Fridge/Freezer in kitchen and upright Freezer in garage still plugged in.
3. The monitor gadget I used on both the above appliances showed Cost ranging from 83p to £1.18 pence energy usage 2.7 watts for each appliance over 2 nights measured.
This is getting confusing. Are you sure you're reading the gadget correctly? I assume you mean 2.7 kWh.

If one assumes a cost of 16p/unit, 83p to £1.18 over two nights corresponds to 5.19 to 7.38 units for two nights, consistent with the 2 or 3 'units per night' you meter is registering. That's a ridicuous amount for a fridge/freezer+freezer, corresponding to a running cost of £150-£215 per year. On that evidence alone, we'd be back to square one, pointing fingers at the appliances, with the meter correctly registering an excessive consumption by those appliances.

Yet you have told us that the meter registered 6 units when everything (presumably including these two appliances) was switched off for 7.5h overnight, and even that the meter was registering substantial consumption when the CU's main switch was off - both of those things clearly pointing the finger at those appliances.

I'm therefore getting very confused!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
JOHNW2

You're not as confused as I am John!

All I know for certain is that year on year my electricity consumption has shot up, and I cannot at this stage find the source of the problem.

The check meter being installed on Monday 10th June,2013 will, hopefully show the existing meter is faulty, otherwise I am back to square one! Plus a bill for £50 from the energy company for the check meter.

The gadget I used" Energenie Power Meter Model ENER007" did show 2.7W under " Energy" display. "Cost" shows 1.371 Kwh for upright freezer in garage. .....Does this make any sense to yo?.

I am despairing...

GRBASF

You're not as confused as I am John!
We're obviously seeing contradictory information. If it really is true that your meter was registering substantial consumption when everything (even the CU main switch) was 'off', then the meter is faulty. Full stop. ... but now you are introducing new uncertainties!
The gadget I used" Energenie Power Meter Model ENER007" did show 2.7W under " Energy" display. "Cost" shows 1.371 Kwh for upright freezer in garage. .....Does this make any sense to yo?.
1.37 kWh over what period of time? I presume that it was reading zero when you started the test? I'll see if I can find anything about it, and how it should be used.

Kind Regards, John

It would take over 3 weeks for a consumption of 2.7W to get to 1.371kWh...

It would take over 3 weeks for a consumption of 2.7W to get to 1.371kWh...
It would indeed, but 2.7W is presumably an instaneous figure which happened to be there at the moment the OP was looking. When the compressor is operating, the figure would obviously be very much higher than 2.7W.

Kind Regards, John

Yup. Sort of the point I was making.

"1.371 Kwh". Gotta love a device with a spec of an accuracy of ±2% displaying that many digits....

The 'instructions' for the ENER007 I've been able to find our pretty pathetic. However, it seems (I think!) that there is no dedicated way of resetting the accumulated consumption/costs figures to zero - it appears that all one can do is 'use a pointed instrument' to effect a 'master reset' which returns all settings (including tariff information etc., maybe even the clock) to the factory defaults. I therefore think that all one can sensibly do is to look at the accumulated figures before and after the period of interest and subtract one from the other to get the consumption during that period.

Kind Regards, John

"Cost" shows 1.371 Kwh for upright freezer in garage.
I've been looking around some of the 'energy saving' websites, and the figures they give for the consumption of freezers and fridge freezers tend to be in the range 0.8 - 1.7 kWh per day (i.e. about 0.25 - 0.6 kWh for the 8h 'overnight' periods you were talking about at the start of this thread).

If your 1.371 kWh figure related to either 24 or 48 hours, it is therefore quite credible as being correct - and two of these certainly wouldn't explain the sort of overnight consumptions you were originally reporting. I think we therefore may be back to the appliances being fine, but the meter probably being faulty.

Kind Regards, John

Hello John W2 and wontdothat agiain.

I have posted PM to wontdothatagain as he appears to be a meter man!

Check Meter installed at 9am Monday 10th June 2013 reading 00002kwh currently reading 12.5 kwh.

Existing Meter reads a consumption still of 3kwh overnight and 11kwh all day 10th June usage.

It would appear that check meter is reading a usage of 1.4 kwh overnight wheras existing meter is reading 3Kwh being used overnight.Does this make any sense to you?

Look forward to hearing from you all, thank you for your time.

GRBASF

Hello John W2 and wontdothat agiain. Check Meter installed at 9am Monday 10th June 2013 reading 00002kwh currently reading 12.5 kwh. Existing Meter reads a consumption still of 3kwh overnight and 11kwh all day 10th June usage. It would appear that check meter is reading a usage of 1.4 kwh overnight wheras existing meter is reading 3Kwh being used overnight.Does this make any sense to you?
Those figures certainly don't seem to be indicating any dramatic difference between the two meters. It may be time, whilst the check meter is there, to repeat your experiment of switching everything off overnight. If the check meter, as well as the existing one, continues to show usage under those circumstances, then you clearly would have a problem (some 'overlooked' load).

Kind Regards, John

don't try and look at the figures on a daily basis, try and look at it weekly as if there is a small difference, it will not be as apparent as the 2 meters are out of synch so you will need to disregard the first unit doing it daily

don't try and look at the figures on a daily basis, try and look at it weekly as if there is a small difference, it will not be as apparent as the 2 meters are out of synch so you will need to disregard the first unit doing it daily
That's all true, but don't forget that he is looking for (hoping/expecting to see) a fairly larger difference between the two meters. If such a difference does exist, it should become apparent pretty quickly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back