Excessive electricity consumption 3 Bed House.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone suggested buying a cheap clamp meter ?
I don't think so, and if there were still some doubts, that would clearly be a good idea, but there surely aren't any significant outstanding doubts, are there? We have a single pair of meter tails going only to a CU, the BT man has confirmed that the main switch in that CU is performing satisfactorily and yet, when that switch is off, the meter continues to tot up usage. That's all pretty 'decisive', isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Has anyone suggested buying a cheap clamp meter ?
I don't think so, and if there were still some doubts, that would clearly be a good idea, but there surely aren't any significant outstanding doubts, are there? We have a single pair of meter tails going only to a CU, the BT man has confirmed that the main switch in that CU is performing satisfactorily and yet, when that switch is off, the meter continues to tot up usage. That's all pretty 'decisive', isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

You seem extraordinarily tenacious, your writing is persuasive vs objective and the quality, length and content of your posts is telling me something but I don't know yet what it is.
Stay tuned!
:mrgreen:

@ GRBASF

Can you send me via a PM either your MPAN which is the 13 digit number on the front of your electric bill or the meter serial number.

Do not post this info here.

I will find out who your meter operator is and may be able to get it bumped foward a bit.

Sponsored Links
the quality, length and content of your posts is telling me something but I don't know yet what it is.
:LOL:

getsmiley.php

Waste of money, waste of time. Clamp meters measure current not watts.
It wouldn't have been a waste of money or time in this case, since the OP was attempting to find where an 'unexplained' ~2A of current was going. However, it's now almost certain that it's going nowhere, and is just a figment of the imagination of a faulty meter!

Kind Regards, John

Waste of money, waste of time. Clamp meters measure current not watts.
I had in mind more for confirming 'zero' when amps and watts are the same.

Is there a wattmeter to which I could have linked?

A wattmeter needs to measure current, voltage, and phase angle at the same time. The Maplin plugin device mentioned earlier does this but is not practical in this case. To be honest I don't know of a suitable device which is why Scottish Power want £50 for a check meter I presume.

which is why Scottish Power want £50 for a check meter I presume.
No, that's because they are a huge corporation and we are no longer customers.
To be fair, it's probably also because, without such a deterrent, there would probably be countless people requesting a check meter because they felt that their bills were a bit high. I presume that SP are by no means unique in this respect, and I also presume that any of the companies would waive (or refund) any charge if it transpires that the meter actually is faulty.

Kind Regards, John

Then they should bill the 'customer' after the work has been done as I have to do.
Yes, they should. BT do the equivalent of that with (telephone) callouts - one is warned that one will be charged (after the event) if a problem proves to be due to the customer's equipment or wiring. I think much the same often happens (per their Ts&Cs) will warranty callouts.

Although not real excuse, maybe the electricity companies have found that it's difficult to get people to pay for 'unnecessary' meter checks 'after the event'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back