Excessive electricity consumption 3 Bed House.

just add it to the bill and that's that? Don't pay & get cut off
Sounds good - but I once asked a BT engineer why they didn't do that, and he thought that there was some legal problem with that approach.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am surprised to hear that BT do that but then they just charge everyone more than double what a job should cost and so do not really 'lose' if someone doesn't pay.

One tack that I suspect might make SP jump into action ...

If someone can state the regs that cover the legal requirements for their metering accuracy, then the OP can write with words to the effect that "if you don't sort this out, I'll report you to <whoever enforces this> for prosecution under <whatever the regs are> for failing to provide a meter to the required level of accuracy".

As the provider has already been told the meter is not reading correctly, they would have no defence to such a charge if they fail to take appropriate action. Unless, of course, they test the meter and prove it is accurate or replace it with one that is.

While I don't normally watch such programs, I recall years ago watching Watchdog or something similar with an article about someone who had a problem like this with their gas meter. BG replaced the meter and the customer's measured consumption dropped dramatically - but the meter couldn't be tested as it was "damaged too much" by the time it got to the right department. How convenient, and BG disputed that the customer had been overcharged :rolleyes:

And for a final thought, proof that the customer "service" person hadn't got a clue. If the main switch in the CU was off, but the CU was faulty and taking 500W - what would that do to most CUs in a short space of time ?

About a year ago now, thing were getting silly with complaints about faulty meters, i was fitting about 6 check meters a week as it was to time consuming to keep on carrying out accuracy tests so the company insisted that we were all issued with NanoVips and now we just turn up and 10 minutes later you can prove to the customer that the meter is acurate.

Then they should bill the 'customer' after the work has been done as I have to do.

That is what happens if a customer insists on a check meter and the existing meter is found to be acurate.

Although not real excuse, maybe the electricity companies have found that it's difficult to get people to pay for 'unnecessary' meter checks 'after the event'?

Amount is added to the bill, customer refuses to pay, letters are sent, customer refuses to pay, court warrant officer calls to the property and trys to get them to pay, customer tells him/her to F*&^ Off, another final demand letter is sent, , customer ignores letter, supplier sends out pre court letter telling customer that a warrant of access will be sought on a particular day, time from a county court judge, customer can attend and argue their case but 99.9% of the time, they ignore it. On that day, the warrant officer will obtain the warrant and arrange a meter operator and a locksmith. Important point, electricty is classed as a vital service, no judge will allow a domestic property to be cut off, what he will do is issue a warrant of entry to allow a prepayment meter, commercial propertys are different and they are disconnected. We will all turn up and change the meter.

All the costs are added to the customers bill and a weekly charge is added to the prepayment meter to get all the costs back, depending on the customers circumstances, this can be upto 30 squid a week.

The average cost for a disconnection is about 450 squid.

UNLESS THE CUSTOMER MOVES AWAY TO A PROPERTY WITH ANOTHER PRE PAYMENT METER, THEY ALWAYS GET THEIR MONEY.

On a personal note, this is the only aspect of my job that i hate. On commercial jobs, i always have a screwdriver in my hand, i have been attacked twice, spat at, had dog mess thrown at me and a dog set on me

Sponsored Links
How many cables leave the meter (on the consumer unit side) and what do these go to?

Regards

Just remember, when they come out "DO NOT" under any circumstances allow the meter man to just replace the meter. You will not have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back from them.

Insist that a check meter is fitted and make your own note of the readings daily. If possible, try and take a picture of both meters together showing the reading at the time he fitts them and when he comes back to check/remove the meter.

If he insists on just replacing the meter, show him where the door is, you can even use reasonable force to remove him if he will not go.

the quality, length and content of your posts is telling me something but I don't know yet what it is.
:LOL:

getsmiley.php
I should have been looking at the cadence, back and forth. Perhaps it's this
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=berne+"yes,+but"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

How many cables leave the meter (on the consumer unit side) and what do these go to?
I presume that you can see two fat cables which go from the meter to the CU. If so, can you see their entire length and confirm that they only go from the meter to the CU, and don't connect (or go to/through/whatever) anything else along the way?
I have had a look at the cables to the C.U. there is only two fat ones, not wired to anything else.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, sorry John, you've already got it covered but trying to get OP to state exactly what he can see so there is no doubt. By that, I mean that saying there are only two cables into the CU is not the ssme as saying there are only two cables running from the meter to the CU and that there aren't any Henleys in between though I have no doubt that this is the case.

Regards

Yes, sorry John, you've already got it covered but trying to get OP to state exactly what he can see so there is no doubt. By that, I mean that saying there are only two cables into the CU is not the ssme as saying there are only two cables running from the meter to the CU and that there aren't any Henleys in between though I have no doubt that this is the case.
As you say, I don't think there's any doubt. I asked him specifically about cables from the meter to the CU, and whether there was anything in between, and he replied that there were only two cables going to the CU and that they weren't connected to anything else. Unless there is a major breakdown in communication, I reckon that covers it!

Kind Regards, John

Many years ago my gas meter got changed on the rolling change out system. I noticed after a day or so the new one had not shown any usage. As it was summer and only using the cooker I left it for a week or so but still no movement of the dials.
I phoned them and said I believed the new meter was faulty as it was not incrementing. I got the usual unhelpful, "The meters don't go wrong etc."
About half hour later I got an almost panic call from a manager, "We need to check this out, someone is on the way."

The next replacement was OK.

Many years ago my gas meter got changed on the rolling change out system. I noticed after a day or so the new one had not shown any usage. As it was summer and only using the cooker I left it for a week or so but still no movement of the dials.
I phoned them and said I believed the new meter was faulty as it was not incrementing. I got the usual unhelpful, "The meters don't go wrong etc."
About half hour later I got an almost panic call from a manager, "We need to check this out, someone is on the way."

The next replacement was OK.

I think I'd have left it for about six months, just to make sure it wasn't just a seasonal thing!

To all contributors who have been helping me - don't go away!

Latest news:

1. I have managed to get (in writing) a date for a "check meter" to be installed by Scottish Power. It is Monday 10th June,2013. You may re-call the two electricians from British Gas Home Care team confirmed that the CU was working ok to isolate the power, and that the meter was still registering power usage.

2. I have also purchased a "Energenie Power Meter " device which I have plugged in overnight 10.50pm to 5.40am 26th/27th May on my kitchen fridge/freezer it read 633.6 W. Can someone interpret that? The instruction booklet with the device is in "gobblededook"!

GRBASF

[/b]

Use the 'cost' button till you can see the total kWh used in the period concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back