Excessive electricity consumption 3 Bed House.

Sponsored Links
I would turn off the main switch in the consumer unit, and check that consumption drops to zero.

If so, then work circuit by circuit, until the one using the power is identified, then work point to point until the faulty / using device is found.

I'll second that. If the meter has a flashing red light, then you should be able to work out quite quickly which circuit is drawing most current.

Sponsored Links
I should be using approx.70 odd units per week but the meter reading is 189 units. I am informed a faulty meter is very rare and a check meter would cost £50 up front from Scottish Power.
How long before your 119 extra units/week equals £50?

Any house with a shared roofspace or hidden void between upstairs and downstairs (most have the latter) is potentially liable to energy theft by the neighbouring property.

I once found a socket on a party wall that was spurred from the back of a socket in the next door house. Both houses were empty so no idea of how or why it happened.

Some clever ideas there. The thought of free electricity appeals. Pity we live in a detached bungalow.

I may start digging.

I am informed a faulty meter is very rare and a check meter would cost £50 up front from Scottish Power.

My parents had a faulty meter. They proved it by the amount of usage over a year compared to each of the previous 30 years. A new meter was fitted by their supplier, and they were re-inbursed the overcharged units. I don't remember them saying anything about being charged for the check.

My parents had a faulty meter. They proved it by the amount of usage over a year compared to each of the previous 30 years. A new meter was fitted by their supplier, and they were re-inbursed the overcharged units. I don't remember them saying anything about being charged for the check.
I would expect/hope that customers wouldn't be charged for the check (or, at least, would be reimbursed if they had initially been charged) if the check revealed that the meter was faulty. I guess the problem is that large numbers of people probably wrongly accuse meters of being faulty (hence resulting in overcharging), in which cases it may be unreasonable for the companies to be expected to pay for all those 'unnecessary' checks. It's not all that different from warranties - if a product is returned, or a call-out arranged, in relation to a product which is found to be non-faulty (or misused by the customer), the T&C of the warranty will often allow a charge to be levied.

Kind Regards, John

The US average residential energy consumption is about 9000 kwh/year with houses in the northeast taking 4x this.
What is your consumption per month, summer & winter, in kwh? You might be able to find a website that shows averages for your area. Certainly the utility companies know these averages.

The two of us take about 6000 kwh/year with a gas furnace and gas water heater and the other appliances being electric.

The US average residential energy consumption is about 9000 kwh/year with houses in the northeast taking 4x this. What is your consumption per month, summer & winter, in kwh?
In terms of overall figures, in 2009, the average total energy consumption of a UK residential home was said to be about twice the figure you mention, namely about 18,600 kWh/year. Climate-wise, I presume that the UK equates to the more northern parts of the US.

Kind Regards, John

Except that in the US a lot is used in the summer for air conditioning.

It's hardly worth having a.c. in a car here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back