Existing lean to utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on installing a new kitchen. As part of it I will be blocking up the old door and making what used to be a window into the new doorway. I'll also be putting in a lintel to open up the kitchen and utility room- this is going to need structural engineer calcs and building control notification. One thing I'm unsure about is that the utility room was built on in the 90s I think without planning permission. When we bought the house 3 years ago the sellers had to get one of those insurance things which covers any problems that could arise. I'm concerned that when I get building control in they're going to make me change the existing lean to. Any ideas what normal protocol is here?

TIA

Sponsored Links
You don't need structural calculations or an engineer for this work.

Building control are only interested in the work for which you are applying for permission - ie the doorway opening.

If the utility room is nothing to do with the doorway then building control wont be interested unless it's a significant life safety issue. They don't' go mooching around the house looking for stuff.

You don't think I need BC even for the new lintel?

Here's a pic of what I'd like to do:
  • Block up old kitchen door.
  • Open up the original exterior window to make a doorway (just take the bottom wall out, doesn't need new lintel)
    (this window is already just an interior window between the dining room and the utility room)
  • Put lintel in as shown (1.8m between walls so 2.1m lintel inc. 2x150mm end bearings) - this is the old external wall so is double brick, no cavity and remove the bit of wall behnd the sink
Thanks again!

20200127_080938.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back