What is required to do the following work on my new house?

20 Apr 2017
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house to which I want to do some internal works to make it work for my family.

I understand that any works I want to do need to meet building regulations but I don't know how to go about that as I'm not planning on getting a single contractor in to do all the work in an attempt to try and reduce the costs.

Below is a breakdown of the changes we want to make, none of which should require planning, relates to attached plan:

  1. Remove brick (Non structural) dividing wall to extend Kitchen/Diner
  2. Block up doorway
  3. Remove non-structural timber partition wall to make hallway/study area
  4. Block up doorway between utility room and lounge
  5. Remove conservatory
  6. Open up wall and remove existing doorway and french doors and install RSJ for 3 panel sliding doors
  7. Remove WC and use space for new hot water tank, new boiler (replacing 2) to be installed in utility room.
  8. Remove partition walls and shower room to created open plan bedroom. I understand that we may need to put a doorway at the top of the stairs for Building Regs. Stairs up currently lead from from Kitchen but this will be removed and become annex lounge once main kitchen is finished.
  9. Will become "Jack & Jill" bathroom.
Thanks for your help.



  • Plans.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm busy that weekend so can't help.

But, if you have any actual questions .......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links