expansion/contraction joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all having finally got a new batch of tiles i have once again had another attempt at tiling my bathroom. So far i have managed to get 2 walls fully tiled however me being an amateur i have not given too much thought of the corner expansion contraction joint. I fear this may be a potential issue in the future which may tiles to debond if there is any movement but i am not too sure hence why i have come here.
Here are the corner cuts
20200913_223832.jpg 20200913_223828.jpg 20200913_223748.jpg
20200913_230607.jpg
As you can see they are a bit all over the place me being a novice, some of the tiles are touching and my concern is this may cause cracking in the future due to there being no room for movement on some cuts, i have tried to clear as much adhesive as i can reach but there is still some in there as you can probably see.

My question is i am i being overly concerned or will this be a problem, what will likely happen if there was any movement? Also for future reference what kind of gap should i be leaving these corner joints? Is it the same as the bath and grout joints around 2mm?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It will be fine, there shouldn't be much movement? - I normally leave a similar gap to the one between the tiles ~ 2mm. Make sure you use silicone in the corner and not grout...

Thanks, its just your typical shower over bath, the building is around 20 years stud partitions and moisture resistant plasterboard with a tanking membrane, the materials used if it helps is bal max flex fibre (dark purple bag).

I have one final wall to tile and i will make sure i leave a 2mm gap in the corner when im finished i will apply silicone 785 dowsel around the bath and internal corners,
Sound good?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back