Expansion joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is there anyway I can span an expansion joint (in screed containing underfloor heating pipes) with Travertine french pattern tiles, so that the joint can't be seen.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you will need to transfer the movement joint up thro your tiles.

genesis/gradus/schulter.. movement/exspansion joints, only colours i have seen them in are..light or dark grey,black and i think beige?

or...silicone,..dependant on thickness/width etc..

try mapei...think their called mapesil?...these to can be used for exspansion/movement joints(to within reason)..but first you will have to infill with a foam then silicone ontop ...

you will also want to look in a uncoupling membrane for that floor with ufh and stone tiles.....imo

and no this cant be used as a mov/exsp joint...(the uncoupling membrane)..before you ask.

How big an area is the floor? If the screed floor you have is large enough to warrant an expansion joint, you will require something similar for the tiles. As Tictic said, an uncoupling membrane should be used with the UFH but it can’t be used instead of an expansion joint if one is required, it won’t cope.

Sponsored Links
can i just ask why you wish to incorporate an expansion joint into the floor? is it a large area ? is it concrete meeting wood? is it new concrete meeting old concrete? etc etc

Thanks for replies. The area concerned is approx 40 square metres and the expansion joint runs centrally across the room (room is approx 8m by 5m). I have bought Mapei Mapeker tile adhesive which I was told would be suitable to stick these tiles to heated screed (no mention of decoupling membrane) . Is this not so, do i also need to fit decouplig membrane?

Thanks for replies. The area concerned is approx 40 square metres and the expansion joint runs centrally across the room (room is approx 8m by 5m). I have bought Mapei Mapeker tile adhesive which I was told would be suitable to stick these tiles to heated screed (no mention of decoupling membrane) . Is this not so, do i also need to fit decouplig membrane?

it is not 100% neccessary to fit a decoupling membrane, BUT it makes sense to. The adhesive you have will be ok

when was your screed put down?..
i take it is a sand/cement screed as it has an exspansion joint in it..so will be 75mm thick so 1mm per day drying time so 75 days,depedant on the temp inside and outside the room..

the tiles, modular travertine,..i take it they are light in colour?..
so you will want a white rapidset flex adhesive so has you dont get bleeding thro to the tile face...dont think the one you have comes in white?..i may be wrong tho..

as for the uncoupling membrane i would spec this for this job myself..
wet underfloor/screed/travertine tiles...just in case you get stress fractures/cracks in the screed...belt and braces for me..then i know i wont have to pay to redo the job.. ;) thats just me tho mate..

dont forget to prime the screed proir to any adhesive be put down..

i dont think it will be a gypsum based screed tho,these dont usually have exspasion joints incorperated into them...and are 40mm thick,so drying time 40days depedant on temp etc..

Screed has been down since last april, Your right about the tile colour. The adhesive is White. What primer do i need? (is primer nessasary on a new screed (has been covered with cardboard to protect and is relitively dust free. Won't priming put a skin between the screed and prevent proper adhesion to the screed?
thanks

the primer does a few jobs...

it seal any dust on the screed from contanation the adhesive,thus not bonding to the screed/tile,

stops the screed from absorbing the adhesive to quickly, and so addy not at max strentgh..

and it aids in the adhesion for the adhesive.

an acrylic primer from
mapei
bal
weber..etc

best off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back