Expansion gap in solid wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first time on the forum and I hope someone can help as I need some advice about the fitting of a solid wood floor. I'm not actually doing it myself as it's a bit beyond my basic DIY skills so the builder doing my kitchen extension is fitting it. However I'm a bit worried as he hasn't left a gap around the edges. I'm no expert but everything I've read or heard about fitting a floor says to leave a 10 - 15mm expansion gap. I confronted the builder with this and he said it wasn't really necessary as no floor would expand by 20mm. I asked him to 'please' cut the plaster back so that there was a sufficient gap. He did about a metre and then obviously got bored so I ended up doing it myself but wonder, am I just being a fussy cow :rolleyes: (I'm sure they think I am) or is this an absolute necessity when fitting a T&G solid wood floor. It's secret nailed. Sorry to be so long winded, I'd really appreciate the benefit of your collective experience!

Sponsored Links
You're absolutely right. A solid Oak floor can expand up to 4mm per meter wide, so the least he should have left was indeed 10 - 15mm gaps all around.

Many thanks for your reply, my gut feeling was that this was correct but I have no practical experience, so thanks for the back up. It's hard to confront a bunch of hairy builders and tell them they're not doing their job right!! Think this is a brilliant web site BTW!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have thought about changing them a few times but I just want the job finished now. What started as an 8 week job is now in week 14 :cry:
surely the end must be in sight???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back