engineered over solid wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked the other day what the benefits were between engineered oak flooring as appose to solid oak flooring or vice versa.

Now aside from the obvious thickness of oak present on engineered oak flooring I couldn't really answer the question and therefore would like an answer "if you would be so kind" from somebody thats knowledgeable in this product.

Which leads me onto my second, somewhat trivial question. Whenever I have laid flooring whether it be solid, engineered or laminate flooring I have always left atleast a 12mm expansion gap around all edges, however the job I am looking at at the moment has a floor which leads into a newly installed patio door about 4 metres long. Now i have advised the customer that we will need to leave the 12mm expansion gap where the floor runs into the frame of the patio doors. Customer is not happy, whom has spoken to his builder, builder says I am talking out of my rear end and an expansion gap is not required at this point.

The floor will be Oak, whether it be engineered or solid i do not know, it will be secret nailed in anycase. So do I or do I not leave an expansion gap at the frame.

Thank you once again for your time :p

Sponsored Links
How wide is the door going into the patio? If wide enough (at least 3/5 of the total width of the room) you con install continues but have to leave your expansion gap in the doorway (undercutting door posts).

You've got my permission to tell your builder he's talking rubbish and if he wants to sign a paper stating he'll take the blame and costs if it all goes belly up when you don't leave - on his say so - gaps there.

Sponsored Links
hello, the door width is 4.0mtrs and the room is 4.8mtrs, I can't undercut the posts as its a upvc patio door frame, there is nothing to undercut.

The floor would just run straight into the frame and the remaining .4mtrs either side is just a soft block wall awaiting skirting board when the floor is laid.

Cheers

You have to leave gaps in front of the door post then and cover them with flat beading or ask the builder to sign a piece of paper he's taking responsibility for this.

Thank you Wood You Like, I thought as much, but I will request he signs a disclaimer if he insists on no expansion gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back