Expansion gap larger than skirting for first row!! Pls help!

No exact knowledge I'm afraid. Why not give the manufacturer a call? 0031 40 2426136 - sure they speak English too ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help Wood You Like. well, I've decided to take the plunge and going to go with some self adhesive underlay like Elastilon.

Noticed Topps tiles are selling something similar called Envoy Multi adhesive? Looks the same? Any ideas if it performs the same or if it's the same product but just called a different name? Seems to be a bit cheaper.

Mods, how does WoodYouLike get away with advertsiing her wares directly in threads whereas others are disallowed?

Must because we frequently advice here and ONLY when applicable direct to our website. Plenty of replies without links.
Give and take?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help Wood You Like. well, I've decided to take the plunge and going to go with some self adhesive underlay like Elastilon.

Noticed Topps tiles are selling something similar called Envoy Multi adhesive? Looks the same? Any ideas if it performs the same or if it's the same product but just called a different name? Seems to be a bit cheaper.
There are plenty of copy-cats out there now (patent on product only last that long). Elastilon is The Original, tested and approved by many renowned testing organisations in the building industry, not sure all the other - cheaper - ones are.

Well, I used the Floormaster Envoy Underlay from Topps tiles - £49.99 per role.

I was really sceptical when I picked it up as I could tear it really easily and I thought to myself how could this possibly hold floor together without any glue?

I cut off a small part and stuck 2 short boards together and I must say the fit was really sturdy and with this effect mulipliesd across boards I'm pretty confident it will work fine. Time will tell I guess. At the end of the day though, as you don't use any glue using this method I can pull the floor up if it does start to degreade over the years (although it will require alot of scrapping!!)

It would be really interesting if anyone out there has any insight into the performance of the different types of self adhesive underlay - Floormaster vs Elastilon vs etc....

Thanks to all for your help - esp Wood You Like - I didn't even know this type of product was on the market until I was informed in this forum.

Final question - should I leave a slight expansion gap between the skirting and the oak floor - maybe a few mm's???

Final

Final question - should I leave a slight expansion gap between the skirting and the oak floor - maybe a few mm's???
Presume you mean a height gap? If so, just make sure the skirtingboard does not press the wood floor down.

sorry - I didn't make myself clear! I've left an expansion gap between the oak floor and the wall.

However, I'm now putting skirting boards back and wondered if I should leave a few mm gap between the oak floor and the skirting or if I could just snuggly fit the skirting on top of the floor.

Does the wood expand upwards in addition to expanding in length and width?

Then I haven't made myself clear either ;)
Let the skirtingboard rest gently on the floor, do not let it press it down 'cos this will obstruct the natural movement of the floor if it expands and wants to move underneath the skirtingboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back