Expansion problem with solid oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in October I had a solid wood floor fitted in the hall. Three weeks ago, when the weather warmed up, I noticed that the transition into a bedroom at the back had begun to develop gaps.

When I thought about it further, I realised that the front door had become more difficult to open and shut, and on investigating, discovered that the expansion gap had closed to nothing and the floor was clearly now pushing on the front door. This has damaged the architrave and caused the UPVC panels on the front to push outwards and the door frame has pushed over the top of the sealant.

I have phoned the company that sold me the floor numerous times in the last few weeks but have always been told that they're really busy at the moment and will get round to it as soon as they can.

Today, I decided that I'd had enough. When I called this morning, I told the guy that owns the company that I want this sorting now and that I also want a glazier out to look at the damage to the front door.

This is when he started to shift the blame. It appears that he only sells the floor and then effectively contracts out the fitting to sole traders. We paid the fitter directly although signed a contract with the seller.

My question is who should I pursue about this, the person who sold me the floor and sent the fitter round, or the fitter himself, who I only have a mobile number for? Also, am I being reasonable telling them that I want the door looked at, as he's telling me that expansion 'just happens' and there's nothing that they can do about it.

Thanks

Guyan

Sponsored Links
The law is on your side, the contract and thereby the guarantee are with the main contractor i.e. the company who sold you flooring, so if it's a one year guarantee you've got better get your finger out...pinenot :)

How much expansion gap was there originally? Should have been at least 10mm gap, but could be more with solid wood flooring.

The "fitter" should have undercut the doorframe, so the wood could slide underneath.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure how big the expansion gap was in front of the door but its now nothing. It was filled with what looked like mastic. You can just make it out in the third picture where its been compressed against the architrave. I can't see the expansion gap around the rest of the floor as its covered with scotia beading.

Sponsored Links
You need to pursue this through the retailer.

The quality of the fitting does'nt appear to be too good in the pictures, as has been said, the architraves should have been undercut, and mastic should'nt be used to fill gaps etc.

Having said that, it's not a great idea to 'float' a solid floor either, they should be fixed to the subfloor either fully stuck or secret nailed with the appropriate subfloor preperation. The retailer should have discussed this with you before any order was placed.

Clearly the floor is moving, and it would be useful to know why, despite the obvious issue, something like a leaking radiator etc could be the cause, and that's likely not the responsibility of the flooring company or the contractor.

To investigate further, you'll need to remove the scotia, but ideally, go to the retailer and insist that they inspect it. They may realise the issue quite quickly upon inspection, for example they may be disapointed in the quality of the fitting etc that they just won't be expecting.

Very very poor fitting.

The installer is responsible for replacing and any damage caused to doors etc also. Im saying the installer as that is who you paid to install it. You never paid the retailer a fitting charge. You only purchased the flooring off the retail shop.

However was you made aware that this was the case and that the retailer was recommending a installer and not supplying a employed installer?

Either way any good retailer would be on the case to help you out and get the installer back !

PS, would you mind if i was to use your pictures for training ? I run the FloorSkills training centre and we run the only official wood flooring apprenticeship in the U.k. Pictures like these help us a lot.

The floor is laid over a suspended wooden floor and as far as I'm aware, is blind nailed. The reason that it has started to split is that one side has filled the expansion gap and is now jammed against the architrave. The other side still had some way to go so continued to expand and then came away from the board behind it as it was jammed on one side. There was a slight leak from the radiator next to this before Christmas, but this has only happened in the last month so I would be surprised if the two are linked.

How should he have hidden the expansion gap in front of the UPVC door? I can see cutting underneath the architraves to hide it here, but he clearly can't do that with the door.

Mattysupra, I was not made aware that he was merely recommending an installer. I only realised when he turned up in a van with a different name to the company from which I bought the floor. The only mention I've had from the retailer that this is the case is now that I am complaining about it, he mentioned that he employs a couple of different companies.

As far as the pictures are concerned, please feel free to use them. If you need any better ones or the full size versions that I cannot upload on here, please let me know.

Thanks

Guyan

hi,

Ok, so who did you pay for the install? was it the installer (in their name) or the retailer in their name?

What's evident here is bad fitting mitred external corners, those corners are as bad as I've seen (well that's not exactly true) but bad enough. Were they as open as this when fitted? OK wood can shrink but not lengthwise which is what is displayed here. So if that's how the finished trim has been done I hate to think what the rest is like...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back