Expansion Vessel change on Worcester 28 i junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, does anyone know how long a professional heating engineer/plumber should take to change one if these as the vessel is clearly shot? Water coming out of the shrader valve.

Separately I have found out that occasionally it can be condensation not water and the valve is ok.

Thoughts on both?

Attachments

• 20171123_182951.jpg
    20171123_182951.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20171124_195839.jpg
    20171124_195839.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 20171124_200454.jpg
    20171124_200454.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Hi All, does anyone know how long a professional heating engineer/plumber should take to change one if these as the vessel is clearly shot? Water coming out of the shrader valve.

Separately I have found out that occasionally it can be condensation not water and the valve is ok.

Thoughts on both?

Thank you for posting the informative thread.
from your information provided,your vessel is indeed shot and a replacement is required.
Please consider the work involved to rectify and i estimate at 3.5 hours could be less or £400 cash :idea: (labour only)

Thanks OB. 3.5 hours is a long stint. Should inhibitor be going in as well and if so how much longer do you think that will need?

The system will need to be drained down so on refilling inhibitor is added as standard,its in the labour estimate.

OB

Sponsored Links
It's tempting to have a new one installed. The old one is over 14 years old now

Just weighing up pros and cons of cost, time and effort. If it breaks down again pump, fan PCB issue it's better off in the yard.

As a thought I could save the engineer some time by taking the housing off and draining down the system. Anything else to help speed up the process?

As a thought I could save the engineer some time by taking the housing off and draining down the system. Anything else to help speed up the process?
not doing yourself any favours as i would suspect you was hiding something ;) , you can't be that hard up if considering a new boiler ;):ROFLMAO:

False economy if you're better off paying an extra few £'s on a new one over several engineer visits + parts to fix one on its way out?

Will just have to dig deeper under the mattress and cut back on Christmas if so.

If it is just a repair job what's the process for changing the expansion vessel: drain down the system, replace vessel, refill with inhibitor. Done?

still dont know if your expansion vessel needs changing, in my experience about 90% of expansion vessels changed on domestic boilers just needed recharging, on your boiler, if your expansion vessel does actually need replacing just fit an external one it will be a lot cheaper

Ian, if it's bubbling water air side then presumably you should purge it first then recharge?

Any way of telling whether it's water or condensation that's bubbling out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back