Expansion vessel query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some water leaking from my hot water tank through the turndish only when hot water was on from my boiler, searched for a local plumber through gas safe website. He came out done a check and said it was my expansion vessel. He drained it and tried putting air in it and wasn't filling with air. He replaced it a few days later no problem and so far so good.
Now being nosey i searched to find out more and have a couple of questions.
1. He took it straight from the box and fitted it. I now know it was precharged (don't know the exact pressure) but what if the pressure was not high enough or to low. Hot water tank is in a small cupboard so i held open the door and watched him install it.
2. The important one i suppose (from reading these forums). He was registered as vented but i believe that my system is unvented. Hot water tank with 2 EV (white and red). I looked at a few more local and further afield and there is no unvented qualification on the gas safe website. I'm hoping he is qualified.

Wanted to check here first before making any phone calls
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You will have to ask him, unvented qualifications do not get automatically added to the Gas safe website, it is a water qualification not a gas qualification, you could be a plumber and have unvented qualifications and not be gas safe registered, the ones that show up on gas safe have notified gas safe themselves

You will have to ask him, unvented qualifications do not get automatically added to the Gas safe website, it is a water qualification not a gas qualification, you could be a plumber and have unvented qualifications and not be gas safe registered, the ones that show up on gas safe have notified gas safe themselves
Cheers and what about the 1st question (soz for being a pain) just trying to kill two birds with the one stone.

Strictly speaking the installer should always check the pre-charge of an EV is in line with the MI of the fixture it is being installed to protect.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the box had already been opened ? I have a small trye pressure guage and always open the box at the merchants and check the pre-charge as if there is a fault when onsite you have to take it all the way back to exchange

Spoke to him this morning and things all good. He is certified (said he wouldn't touch it if he wasn't) and he charged to correct pressure before coming. He's changed/charged a few in the estate over the few years.
One thing I forgot to ask and it's irrelevant now, but what would happen if it was over/under charged.

would never be over charged , if it was undercharged you just top the pressure up with a car tyre pump to the correct pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back