expansion vessel replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Need the expansion vessel replacing on my Baxi 105E, the easiest option appears to have an external version fitted, Altecnic do an extensive range, but how do you calculate what size is needed,4, 8, 12ltr ???.
Would it need its own filling loop, pressure release valve and pressure gauge or would the boilers own work with it.
ANY ADVICE WELCOMED :)
Rotherman

Sponsored Links
The easiest option is to replace the one in there.

If you do fit an external vessel fit it as close to the boiler retun isolator as possible.

You cannot oversize a vessel, premature failure of yours maybe, because it was too small from the start.

Fit at least a 12L

Size depends on size of system, how many rads are there? You do not require additional prv or filling loop.

Vessels are normally sized at 10litres per KW of boiler divided by vessel manufacturers constant.

Normally equates to 1litre/KW.

Sponsored Links
The easiest option is to replace the one in there.

If you do fit an external vessel fit it as close to the boiler retun isolator as possible.

You cannot oversize a vessel, premature failure of yours maybe, because it was too small from the start.

Fit at least a 12L
:) Thanks for the advice and it was the expansion vessel in the boiler thats failed.

If, for whatever reason, you fit one that is too small, you are back to the same problem. If you fit one that is far too big, you have overspent by a tenner, but you will have very little pressure variation.
That should make the choice rather simple.

is it deffinately a 105e and not the 105einstant as this would also make a differnce.

cos it uses the ex vess as a water store :eek:
Cheers, I origonally tried repressurising the onboard expasion vessel, it lasted about a week before I was back where I started, the valve wasn't leaking water and the pre heat appears ok, so I thought an external expansion sounded the best option, would it still work. :confused:

is it deffinately a 105e and not the 105einstant as this would also make a differnce.

For what reason?

Fitting an external vessel is an approved repair on both models.

i didnt think you should fit an external one to an instant if it failed cos of the preheat, But you'll know best so guess i now know for the future.

i didnt think you should fit an external one to an instant if it failed cos of the preheat, But you'll know best so guess i now know for the future.
INTERESTING, if the onboard expansion vessel has failed, will the preheat store still work, is there any way of checking it, should I turn off the preheat function ???. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back