Expansion Vessel - Which way up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Festive greetings!

I have an unvented system, my plumber told me to keep an eye on the pressure of the system, told me to keep it around 1.5bar. In the last few weeks the system has been losing pressure faster and faster, where I'm now having to top it once or twice a day.

I've read that it needs a recharge and my plumber can't get out, and suggested I top it up myself. I've done some research and watched some video's but all of the vessels I've seen they are the other way up. Just wondering if mine has been installed incorrectly? Please see attached file.

I also tried to pump it up and the gauge just increased rapidly, like there was a blockage. But when I went and checked the pressure at the boiler it had increase. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
That expansion vessell is not for your heating system, that is for your unvented HW cylinder

That expansion vessell is not for your heating system, that is for your unvented HW cylinder
As such you shouldn't be playing with it, it needs someone with the correct qualifications to service the unvented system.

You want to look for a similar looking red vessel that would normally have a gauge near/below it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay, I didn't get any email notifications to say anybody gas responded?

As such you shouldn't be playing with it, it needs someone with the correct qualifications to service the unvented system.

You want to look for a similar looking red vessel that would normally have a gauge near/below it.

I don't have a red vessel, just that white one. I was doing what my plumber instructed. My main concern is it is fitted correctly as all the expansion vessels I've seen the schrader valve is at the top?

No it is the correct way up, what boiler do you have ? make and model, as already said that expansion vessel is not for your system,it is for your Unvented HW cylinder

No it is the correct way up, what boiler do you have ? make and model, as already said that expansion vessel is not for your system,it is for your Unvented HW cylinder

I see, thought there was just one for the whole system. My boiler is a Logic+ System 24. My system isn't standard. I have underfloor downstairs and each of the 3 zones is controlled by stats in each room. I then have a separate heating system upstairs for the radiators, which also controls the hot water. Obviously the boiler feeds both "systems"

No , your boiler is a SYSTEM boiler which means the expansion vessel , pump and pressure releif valve are all inbuilt within the boiler, that white EV has nothing to do with the system water

No , your boiler is a SYSTEM boiler which means the expansion vessel , pump and pressure releif valve are all inbuilt within the boiler, that white EV has nothing to do with the system water

Ok, he installed a valve with a pressure gauge that I have to open to increase the pressure back up. It puts cold water into the system. It's no bother really, just have to do it regularly until he can get out.

your boiler comes with a pressure guage, it is attached to the isolation valve on the boiler

You just need to download the manual for your boiler and it will show you where the gauge is.

This is a combi and the filling loop won't be the same as yours but it does show you where the gauge should be.

th

your boiler comes with a pressure guage, it is attached to the isolation valve on the boiler

Yes, he installed a separate one with a filling loop in an easy to reach place. It's quite hard to see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back