Expansion vessel worcester 28i issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Long time reader 1st time poster. Not sure if this is the right place to post a new thread.
I have a worcester 28i boiler with 11 rads over three floors.
For a year or so i have noticed if i crank up the heat gauge for CH on the boiler to more than halfway the pressure rises upto nearly 3 bar. If i put to full it goes beyond and there is water coming outside. So ive never put it up too high. Just enough so it doesnt go above 2.5 bar. The manual says it should be 1 to 2.5 when in operation.
I have looked online and researched the issue. Its the expansion vessel and the valve needs pumped, if water comes out the vessel when valve is depressed it means its gone and needs replaced and if its air it just needs pumped.
I was all set to arrange for an external vessel to be fitted as dont want the boiler removed and the rest of the components being affected.
Heres the bit that i cant understand or find anywhere online.
Basically i depressed the valve and air came out, no water. So i used a bike pump and give it 3 pumps and the bike pump gauge read 1 bar this was after taking all the air out of the vessel, wasnt much. I then noticed the bike pump wasnt very accurate, the needle was close to 0.5bar before it was even connected. So i thought i would pump it again until the gauge hit 1.5 bar. For some reason in my haste i depressed the valve to take the air out of the vessel and water came out this time, sort of blubbered out with air.. i then noticed that there was a tiny drop creeping out of the valve constantly. Very little but wet for sure. Just to add i pumped the vessel while the pressure on the boiler read 1. This should have been 0, oops i know.
I then monitored for a day or so and now the boiler would rise to more than it did before at the same lowish temperature so i was all set to call round and finally take the hit for a engineer to fit an external vessel as its cheaper and i have space in the cipboard.
However while messing around i discovered there is a spirotech mb2 thing underneath which catches the dirt. After reasearching i found this needs emptied annually and having been here for 4 years this had not been done. My rads have always heated fine with no cold spots etc so i went online and ordered sentinel cleaner and inhibitor. Thinking its going to be drained when the new vessel is fitted so might as well fill it with cleaner and then a week later inhibitor.
However, once i emptied the spirotech, about a litre, fairly clean and slightly cloudy water the pressure on the boiler dropped to 0. So i thought i would pump the vessel with some air now and hopefully get use in the meantime. I did this and found the vessel valve is no longer leaking. The boiler pressure rose to 1 bar so i didnt need to fill via filling loop. Started the boiler and its been fine ever since. Tested for a couple of days now on even higher temps than it was run at before and it rises to less than 2.5bar hot and sits nicely 1 bar when cold.
My concern is am i just lucky and bought myself some time? Is it possible the vessel is fine even tho water came out the valve?
Im going out my mind here wondering if need a new vessel, especially with winter just round the corner. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

<Moderator's note>
The duplicate thread has been removed

Sponsored Links
To me if you had followed the correct producers and maintenance as detailed by the manufacturer, you would never had the problem in the first place. I guess that the issue has now been resolved.

Vessel needs pumping at zero pressure and open to atmosphere. You need to check M.I.'s as depending on the volume of water in your system you may need another expansion vessel fitted anyway. I find 9 out of 10 vessels just need re-pressurising. Also need to make sure the hose that connects the vessel to the boiler is'nt blocked.

Thanks for your messages. Is there anyway i can confirm myself if the vessel is ok or will this need an engineer?

Sponsored Links
Im doubting the vessel is ok as some water came out as mentioned in my original post and not sure if that was down to my stupidity when repressurising or because it is on its way out.

If there's water coming out of the air valve, the vessel is fooked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back