Expansion Vessel Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I noticed the pressure in my CH system is dropping. On closer inspection I see the pressure goes up to near 3bar and the PRV starts weeping. I have an external vessel. Boiler is a Worcester greenstar 24ri (might be a lower number, I can't remember right now).

I read the guide on how to recharge the vessel so thought I would try that.

With about 0.7bar in the system I pressed the valve and no air came out, released the system pressure through a drain cock, then tried pressing the valve and some air came out, pumped it up a bit tried the valve and air came out, no water came out.

After pumping more air in I notice the reading on my pump slowly falls, pumping air in then trying a push on pressure gauge doesn't even register on it.

Is it possible for the vessel to be faulty and for no water to come out when the system is pressurised?

The PRV only seemed to leak under higher pressure will it need replaced anyway?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
drop the pressure and leave the drain valve open.
Pump the vessel up to 1 bar. Remove the pump and then test it with a quality tyre gauge.
Leave it an hour or so and retest it. If the pressure in the expansion vessel has dropped it's leaking. You might want to test the actual tyre valve with a little washing up liquid to see if the valve itself is leaking.

got it pumped up, i think i was just being over cautious in the amount of air i was putting in. Pressure seems to be holding too.

prv is weeping now even at normal system pressure so I'll swap that out.

what is the purpose of the adjustable red line on the prv is that set to the minimum system pressure i should have?

cheers,

got it pumped up, i think i was just being over cautious in the amount of air i was putting in. Pressure seems to be holding too.

prv is weeping now even at normal system pressure so I'll swap that out.

what is the purpose of the adjustable red line on the prv is that set to the minimum system pressure i should have?

cheers,

If the pressure relief valve is a twist type give it a few twists and it should seat. The give it a week. They can seat again.

Sponsored Links
You might want to test the actual tyre valve with a little washing up liquid to see if the valve itself is leaking.

What's wrong with a bit of spit dabbed onto the valve??? :confused:

Spitting on the value isn't really a quality service is it?
One has to be seen to do a quality job and there is always washing up liquid available.

Spit is not the approved leak detection fluid which should be used on boilers!

It comes in a bottle and costs about £3.

Spit is free and the merchant makes nothing from that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back