Expantion Cistern overflows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My expantion cistern in the loft keeps overflowning. I've replaced the ball valve and it shuts off ok but it still overflows. Is there another explanation to this problem? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
ironfist4628 said:
My expantion cistern in the loft keeps overflowning. I've replaced the ball valve and it shuts off ok but it still overflows. Is there another explanation to this problem? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Could be this is the problem in your cylinder :eek:

0003157tu9.jpg

What he means is if coil in cylinder is holed or split it allows the water in your large tank in loft and the small tank to mix and find it`s own level which is usually above the level of the overflow thus it drips

namsag said:
What he means is if coil in cylinder is holed or split it allows the water in your large tank in loft and the small tank to mix and find it`s own level which is usually above the level of the overflow thus it drips

Thanks ;)
Couldn't talk to much as i was eating :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ironfist4628 said:
Thanks for your quick replies. I'll look into that later and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Or quickly open your Hot taps & check colour. If your coil is split your Hot water is normally a murky brown colour & may smell especially if inhibitor has been added.

Bamber gaspipe said:
If your coil is split your Hot water is normally a murky brown colour & may smell especially if inhibitor has been added.
Nonsense.

if its the heating f/e thats over flowing then its clean water entering the heating not causeing smell or contamination. if the heating tanks the higher of the tanks & its the domestic hot water cold tank over flowing the hot water could be contaminated but a drip drip drip ould probably go undetected in a large volume of water.

Although it doesn`t happen everytime a split coil will give dirty water out of hot taps because your getting all the crap pumped out of heating circuit into the cylinder

Hot water is coming out clean at the moment. I'll drain the cylinder later and see if the level drops in the heating cistern. I think that's the only way I'll know for sure.

you can tell if the coil is faulty in the cylinder as the Feed and expansion tank would be constantly topping up, I would be more inclined to investigate any monobloc/mixer taps that you have as its more likely to be one of these at fault.

Its his heating expansion tank over flowing so why would it be a mixer tap

defonarival said:
you can tell if the coil is faulty in the cylinder as the Feed and expansion tank would be constantly topping up, I would be more inclined to investigate any monobloc/mixer taps that you have as its more likely to be one of these at fault.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dont you just love these 5 week courses :?:

I drained the cylinder today by opening all of the hot water taps and shutting of the ball valves in both tanks in loft. If I'm right, this would normally empty just the big expantion tank, but it also emptied the small expantion tank. This must prove what Largerkhan and namsag said about a hole or split in the coil.

ironfist4628 said:
I drained the cylinder today by opening all of the hot water taps and shutting of the ball valves in both tanks in loft. If I'm right, this would normally empty just the big expantion tank, but it also emptied the small expantion tank. This must prove what Largerkhan and namsag said about a hole or split in the coil.

New cylinder then :cry:
£150 for a 900x450 g3 indirect pre lagged :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back