Expensive cockup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom floor has about 3m of Dune stone mosaic. It's softish stone, quite sparkly. £180/m or something was paid.
http://www.europeantilesdirect.co.uk/Range/Krakatoa-Stone-Mosaic/374/#rangeholder
Someone said they looked good with glitter in the grout.
They were supposedly sealed, with Lithofin MN Stain Stop (stinks)
then the grout...
Not many glittery grouts about, only one fairly quick to get was glitter added to epoxy. So, 10kg =£280 of grouting stuff (for 3m!) later, the floor is, well, kinda blotchy. Litokol grout, Starlight additive.

Id the grout supposed to be cleaned off the tiles completely while it's still wet? I would have thought so!
I think the guy used white spirit.
Litonet cleaner provided, but not used. It seems there's a smear of the mid-grey grout left over the tiles, so they look as I said, blotchy. A real tell-tale is the glitter, you can see it where it shouldn't be, on the surface of the stone tile. If you scrub like mad until it's gone, the grout's gone too, so the colour shows better.

With a white pad supplies by the grout suppliers, and soaking in the Litonet, it seems just possible, about 3 days later, to SLOWLY get the excess off the tiles. They're a lot darker than they were after the Stain-Stop was done, though. Is that normal?

This was done by a bathroom shop - various nationalities of guys turn up, none with any job sheet, etc. :rolleyes:

Even for 3m it's going to take an age to get the tiles clean of the grout. Is there anything else that can be used, like a rotary electric brush? I see there's a gel form of the Litonet. Anyone used it? Paint stripper any good??!

The Bathroom shop manager said when told it was epoxy grout , that it was "a nightmare". Is that reasonable? Sounds silly for a professional, a bit like me as a plumber saying I can use push-fit but copper is a nightmare.

Any suggestions what to do with the grout?

Sponsored Links
Elbow grease, be careful about putting chemicals on. The white abrasive cloths are a must. Epoxy is an absolute nightmare to deal with on mosaics, it's vital that it is all cleaned off during application.

I recently did about 10m of bisazza mosaics, in two rooms, depiote my best efforts cleaning them during installation, it was still 1/2 day with two men to buff them properly

Oh yeah, the best glitter grout is the Mapei, if you ever need to use it again :LOL:

Cheers, "pal" !!
I thnk the Mapei frouts are morelike christmas decoration, with only the glitter showing, This other one is like grey with sparkles in it.

I've been told by Topps Tiles that there's an Epoxy Grout Remover product. Anyone used that? Not the normal cleaner.

(ALso wondered if a white pad could be used with a vibrating pad pushing it, like a trangle sander thing.)

Hellova risk for a shop/tiler who isn't sure what he's doing to have a go at something like that, but his responsibility, would you say?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back