Problems with grout going pale after scouring - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a tiler in doing my bathroom. He has put up white stone effect metro style tiles with a gunmetal grout. When he started he told me that he was going to use a special wash that you put on the tiles first so that when it came to cleaning off the darker grout it would be easier. When he tried this the grout over the front of the tiles had hardened so almost impossible to get off. The tiler called the shop where the grout was purchased from (tops tiles) and they said the grout should be no problem, he then called the company where he bought the ‘wash’ and they told him that he should not have used the wash with the type of grout he had used and that there was a label warning of this on the product. The advice they gave him was to retile. Instead of taking this advice the tiler decided to spend 6 hours scrubbing at the tiles with a metal scouring pad. The result is that the tiles are clean but the gunmetal grout is now an almost white colour, this is heightened by the fact he only did half the walls like this and the other half correctly which are a perfect shade of gunmetal.

After the job was complete he didn’t do anything about the colour difference even though I told him I wanted it sorted, each time I was told he would keep sponging it down and it would match. Now I am been told that he will tell me some enhancer to buy which may sort the problem?! I said I wouldn’t be doing it as I am not a tiler and don’t want to make things worse, so he agreed to do it himself. Does anyone have any advice on if this issue can be rectified by simply paining on some enhancer or should the walls be re-grouted?

Sponsored Links
the walls have been washed repeatedly with no effect. I think that as the tiles have been scrubbed so much the amount of white dust from them has mixed into the grout to make it look almost white.

He needs to re-grout, end of.

I hope you haven't settled the bill yet?

Sponsored Links
VITREX-GO200VT-6.jpg

Back