Water Proof Grout, or permanent sealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got my shower walls tiled, the tiler used Bal Micromax 2 grout in Gunmetal color. The package states: Dry/Intermittent Wet application. Not sure if a shower would be considered an intermittenly wet environment which sees at least 4 showers a day, 2 in the morning and two in the evening. It is quite rough in texture after installation, and after just about a week of us using the shower, the grout lines became black, initially I thought it was just wet, but we let dry for 4 days and the blackness stayed. I then used multiple type of mold remover, but with a stiff grout brush - no joy - see video at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCvbBank17denrhV9.

The installer was adamant it is just wet, but after we showed him it after a week of non use, agreed to do something. He has removed all the grout already, has been to ToppStiles, who gave him BAL Admix GT1 plus a spray on Grout selaer. I've looked at the Admix bottle, and online reviews, all it sez is, Ïmproves Grout flexiobility, and ënhances physical properties and performance of the grout!!!. As nebulous a description as can be. Also, the ToppStiles grout sealer is recommended to be applied every 2 months!!!.

Questions:

1) Is there a mixer, or grout, which is actually water proof (not resistant) and smooth so that it doesn't actually take water?.

2) In case there is no waterproof grout that can be applied in this siutation (gunmetal color grout), is there a water proof sealar that is longer lasting, not requiring bimonthly re-application?.

Thanks all

Riz

Sponsored Links
Moisture can always get thru tiles, I prefer shower panels, 100% waterproof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back