Grout Reviver Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As this is my first post firstly allow me to thank any and all in advance for any advice and wisdom offered and thank you as well for your time taken reading this plea.

I recently lost my father and have been doing my best to keep the house in one piece, but have come rather unstuck on my latest effort.

We had a complete new bathroom suite installed about 4-5 years ago and the grouting in the shower cubicle was starting to go off colour ( its gone slightly off white all over but inside the shower it was getting a little dirty, not mouldy just dirty, and wouldnt cleanup.

As such I bought some grout reviver and thus was the beginning of my problems, the stuff was awful. The applicator was a round sponge head which made it impossible to properly apply in the corners / edges and with a 2” wide applicator covering 2mm grout, most ended up on the tiles. Then when cleaning off the excess it took the “reviver” off of the grout with it. In the end it took me 4 days to get all the gunk off the tiles leaving grout that looks like its been painted with white emulsion and that most had peeled off. It also claims to be waterproof but after 7 days when having a shower you can see it coming off.

As such today in frustration I started to remove it all, not totally thinking properly about it and as some of it was stubborn is resorted to using a very fine wet sand block and some non scratch washing up pads.

It’s coming off ok, and the finish isn’t to bad, infact the colour matches the rest of the grout in the room, however I have noticed there are some air bubble hole patchy areas and some lines in the grout from sanding.

I’m just wondering if I can just rub some grout in to fill the patches of small holes ?, Has rubbing the grout down effected the water protection of the grout ? ( sorry I have no idea what grout the plumber used I just remember is was in a sealant gun ), Should I just cut the grout out and re grout ?

If a re grout is advised, could you recommend specifically which grout to use, I have done this once before in the kitchen and was a 100% success but this is a totally different ball game and am a little paranoid about mucking it up, and also will it need a sealer and if so how is this applied ?, I have done some reading obviously and am concerned about the damage / mess if it dries on tiles.

Apologies if I sound like someone who has been given a socket set and told to build a suspension bridge but that’s kinda how I’m feeling right now.

Many thanks again in advance for any advice / assistance
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Hi Anthony,
There are loads of products on the market for cleaning up grout, i personally dont rate any of them, best idea is to get a tiler in to do a full re-grout
OR

Buy yourself a couple of grout rakes, or even better a fein multi master and get all the grout out, painstaking i know but pays dividends in the long run, then just re-grout it.

Dont just try to grout the low areas, it simply wont work

Jimmy

Thank your for the prompt reply Jimmy.

That’s exactly what I ended up doing in the kitchen last year and am happy to do myself. Could you please advise / recommend which grout to use for the job, preferably one that does not require a sealant or similar treatment after it has dried.

Many thanks again
Anthony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back