Experience with UKPN today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just posting some information which might prove useful. Firstly, at last a good company with excellent communication and knowledgeable staff - well done to my DNO, UKPN. The blokes who came were superb.

My spark recommended a fuse upgrade prior to installation of an EV charger so the survey chaps came today. Now for what I learned / inferred from their visit.

1. A fuse upgrade is not possible if an old-style mechanical meter is present. (I was expecting that).

2. Oily discharge from the incoming cable is nothing to worry about if it is only a problem in warm weather and nothing feels unduly hot.

3. Some meter fitters don't tighten the connections enough, especially those in the fuse holder. Always say to them 'please make sure that the connections are tight'.

4. Most DNOs are not concerned if a bonding clamp is used to provide a main earth on a lead incomer provided it is fitted correctly.

Do the experts on here agree with my 4 points?

(I have arranged to have a smart meter fitted soon and then an 80A fuse will go in.)

Sponsored Links
1. Not true. They are trying, because of Government policy, to make you have a smart meter which, at the moment, you do not have to accept.

2. If they say so, I suppose it must be correct, although it is not oil.

3. If true, indicates poor workmanship is commonplace.

4. They might not be concerned but it is not the correct fitting.

1 is untrue, metering is unrelated. New supplies are installed without any meter present.
2 may not be an urgent problem, but it does need to be fixed.
3 possibly, but telling people how to do their job won't end well.
4 very likely, as such things were actually permitted in the 1980s.

I did post here some time ago when I got the pre-visit information from UKPN. I asked about the reference to the meter. This is part of the email.

I can confirm that our engineer is scheduled to attend 12th January somewhere between 8am-1pm to complete this fuse upgrade for you. We are intending to complete these works on the first visit, but if we cannot then a survey will be completed and a second visit will need to be arranged.

The most common reasons for being unable to upgrade your fuse to 100 amp are below:

The electricity meter is not rated at 100 amps or above (This would need to be upgraded by your electricity supplier)
The consumer unit is not rated at 100 amps or above (This is commonly called the “fuse box”, and is maintained by a qualified electrician)
The meter tails are not at a size of 25mm or above (These are maintained by both your electricity supplier and a qualified electrician, depending on which set)

The most common reasons for being unable to upgrade your fuse to 80 amp are below:
The electricity meter is not rated at 80 amps or above (This would need to be upgraded by your electricity supplier)
The consumer unit is not rated at 80 amps or above (This is commonly called the “fuse box”, and is maintained by a qualified electrician)
The meter tails are not at a size of 16mm or above (These are maintained by both your electricity supplier and a qualified electrician, depending on which set)

Note the mention of the meter. The fuse man was adamant that a mechanical meter is not suitable for anything above my 60A fuse. I wonder if that's a UKPN rule or is it now standard across all areas? Anyway, I have little choice if I want the new fuse.
(The oily discharge from the incomer is apparently something they put inside with some kind of paper to protect the cables. In properties where the cutout is below pavement height (like mine) it becomes more liquid and flows down in very hot weather).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
.... The most common reasons for being unable to upgrade your fuse to 100 amp are below:
The electricity meter is not rated at 100 amps or above
That obviously makes sense, but it doesn't justify ...
... The fuse man was adamant that a mechanical meter is not suitable for anything above my 60A fuse.
He might be right in the sense that mechanical meters with a rating of 100A are not common in domestic installations but, given that it's only a few decades ago that all meters were (electro)-'mechanical
', I feel sure that ones rates at least as high as that must have existed.

Of course, if (as is very likely) your mechanical meter does have a fairly low 'current rating', then the "fuse man's" comments are irrelevant, since the meter would need to be changed because of the rating, regardless of whether or not it was mechanical.

Kind Regards, John

I believe I have a 100A fuse because this meter feeds a 45A submain to the granny annex (originally with electric heating) as well as the house.
u5OyZ3bQM9f5507TPcLOpIY40HAWalkhA_PgN5ReWBjMK9XaKo-3xDZz1M2O0-2zuQYRZdK6O8W23OMXu9f9VhBVq7l36dTiMjG2qsrWu51mO-AIHRC7odjVoVu5zvXMhg_MgqQxXsOxWR7LBtpUfegQNHx0RqapUbsClfYt8uVz4u0aA0G0tG58upVdx0xzXXvTjFA3XfGeCt5PT6P9EHG4b-dmgJkcqtsKZmxs8hf8sbcv3145fMCiwWfwL2jNo3E-HIU6MGa88DEMv9tpja1ib7FKgt4AzTXMmNXU3Fb_swtc-5RF65auUk_JBnSRkIAKJFNrxpnXizpOfu9DkG2n7nFWPvxiEDemTquZeLbnCBEEQNkP97j2bSMdrKWO82TMiy8FCiL06Ly9se1IIg8xRWsCYmtv2RqFZ5Egq1Kmzgy2SlFc2KVbcKkOs7qE_PsNksYx2u8UMYyjYADCZ5JdDHP91o3hPGJZ4G9Ym_PNaO9QgSqWIcKRwA-45GJ7U3D-fVR_fn-STSH7Bo8mAW7DrLoKVCS419W7F4-jgWAk-isysYoZQxpNnAot2r7mJQiXQ0hTqH8Y2nOnwEzjiPKCJjTBC61_UNC6KbQbWsKNr9oPX28LEbsT5rqkV3o3gwe4d8BFHBG_ABIBhgfft5VxZmwFweUtgnIuzVyPxoLJngE7TB3snu53eVb6kPXJbQIE86FEQ3NGDgF5E1jhf2A=w483-h643-no
24KW @ 240V being 100A

(The oily discharge from the incomer is apparently something they put inside with some kind of paper to protect the cables. In properties where the cutout is below pavement height (like mine) it becomes more liquid and flows down in very hot weather).

That suggests it is a paper insulated cable, which needs to be oiled, then pitch sealed at the ends to prevent moisture entering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back