EXPLODING UNVENTED CYLINDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
The T&P and Prv is quite often connected together before the tun dish, it shows it like that in the book.

In this case the pipe from the Prv runs uphill, which is not good practice, and there's no visible tun dish, maybe one round the corner.

Not got a problem with the T&P sharing the drop to the tundish with the PRV but I have looked and looked until my eyes are sore, I see no tundish, I do see the T&P + PRV directly connected with no relief opening in sight.

At the bottom I see pressure reducing valve, balanced cold(I think) check valve and PRV piped up to the T&P. I cannot see any tee off.

Sponsored Links
What threads like this do is highlight the dangers, If they are installed by the book, they will not explode, and the one in this thread didn't explode either. :eek:

Agree with slug ,

i cannot understand why you all bite at BB or whoever it is and to be honest i think it is someone who posts on here regularly and has an alter ego to wynde people up and it works.
Its simple under certain conditions unvented will explode there is documented evidence and pictures to prove it no matter what country it has happened in or how it happened.
quite simple he has up until now posted utter tosh, without a reasonable arguement.
I asked him for a Picture of a UK fitted cylinder that had exploded purely as i have never seen one in the 25 years i have been in the trade,
finally he has come up with one!
yes installed badly they can be lethal but so can anything. you wouldn't leave your car without maintenance for over 10 years would you.

But people have a bee in there bonnets about defending them.

On the other hand if anyone ever asks on here about fitting a flueless fire everyone is up in arms calling them death traps and POTENTIAL KILLERS.
i would imagine europe/world wide they have killed less than exploding cylinders

i think the safety record of cylinders verses Flueless fires are wide apart as Cwmbran incident shows even a properly fitted fire has killed someone

if anyone ever asks on here about fitting a flueless fire everyone is up in arms calling them death traps and POTENTIAL KILLERS.
i would imagine europe/world wide they have killed less than exploding cylinders

The point is. provided they are installed and service correctly, they are no more likely to explode than a vented cylinder/thermal store. The fact that BB,WS or whoever else he is repeatedly claims they will, is what gets to me and many others I guess.

Sponsored Links
Its simple under certain conditions unvented will explode there is documented evidence and pictures to prove it no matter what country it has happened in or how it happened.

But people have a bee in there bonnets about defending them.

On the other hand if anyone ever asks on here about fitting a flueless fire everyone is up in arms calling them death traps and POTENTIAL KILLERS.

Good sensible post.

The point is. provided they are installed and service correctly, they are no more likely to explode than a vented cylinder/thermal store.

This not the point at all. What didn't you understand about the points below?

IT EXPLODED!!! It did.

1. If any of these cylinders are played about with they can explode.
  2. 20 years down the line without a service (few know about servicing), they can explode.
  3. If they are poorly made they can explode.

The key word is explode. No matter what the reason was. Stop carping on about servicing and approved men, etc. They can explode with age and neglect. Neglect a vented system and no explosions.

There are no risk alternatives, responsible people should fit those. A house in Hampshire had its roof lifted because of one of these cylinders.

105000_104993_9768_77186465_thumb.jpg

The cylinder on the ground is clearly steel and unvented and this lifted the roof.

Apart from a few on this thread, everyone is attempting say they don't explode. They do explode and when they do it is with devastating effect. Such destruction is not worth it, when a no risk alternative is available.

I would advise anyone with one of these cylinders to install on the hot draw-off pipe near the cylinder a quality make additional pressure relief valve set one bar above the pressure reducer valve. You never know the source of the safety controls on the cylinders and some of them are cheap and nasty.

Look at the pics.

Does it look as though the room has been splattered with super heated steam or anything else, Do the wall looks as though they've just been washed with boiling water.

Trust me they would if the vessel had exploded.

I agree.

This twin coil cylinder is supplied with 2 x 2port valves(Danfoss) the solar one is missing, it has no sensor pockets for a solar controller and no senors are shown. My guess is the pump is wired through the stat with no differential control. All in all, tis a proper job.

I asked him for a Picture of a UK fitted cylinder that had exploded purely as i have never seen one in the 25 years i have been in the trade,
finally he has come up with one!

I have seen two of them on this thread alone. The one in Hampshire as well.

yes installed badly they can be lethal

So why fit them when a no risk alternative is around. It doesn't make sense at all that anyone with common sense would fit one.

• If neglected, even if fitted properly, unvented cylinders can explode
  • If a vented system is fitted properly and neglected they do not explode. Well they are service free.

Please allow the above to sink in.

What threads like this do is highlight the dangers,

Which are devastating.

If they are installed by the book, they will not explode, and the one in this thread didn't explode either.

That is tosh. One can be fitted correctly and be neglected and then explode. This one exploded. The OP said "explode" and "violent". The metal was ripped apart all around . That can only happen violently.

What world are you in? Stop defending potentially explosive device. They explode when you are dead and gone, but the risk is there.

Where's the water marks on the wall if it exploded or went Kaboooooooooooom.

Talking of vented systems, how many still remember the little girl that was Scalded to death when the Storage tank collapsed.

Nothing is safe if not installed and maintained correctly, and that includes sludge buckets.

Kevindgas
Cwambran fire was not fitted CORRECTLY the fire had a fault on it that would have been picked up if a simple check had been done.

I have been in the trade 30 years and not seen a lot of things happen but that doesn`t mean it doesn`t

OK he may be going on about cylinders but it is really simple they can and DO explode , same as any pressurised appliance can.

If everything was perfectly fitted it would be an ideal world.

And with manufacturers seeking the cheapest of the cheap components is it going to be happening more often .

Where's the water marks on the wall if it exploded or went Kaboooooooooooom.

The rip in the metal did not happen with a tin opener. It happened violently. Anyone with any engineering analytical skills can see that - an explosion

Talking of vented systems, how many still remember the little girl that was Scalded to death when the Storage tank collapsed.

That was not fitted properly in the first place. The tank was not supported properly.

Read this and absorb:

• If fitted properly, then neglected (no annual service), unvented cylinders can explode.
  • If a vented system is fitted properly and neglected they do not explode. Well they are service free anyway.

The above is common sense.

but it is really simple they can and DO explode , same as any pressurised appliance can.

What people fail to recognise, is that when they do explode the effects are devastating - life threatening. Being near the explosion in Hampshire would have killed you.

Pointing at another potential danger to negate another is telling yourself lies and believing them. That is illogical clap-trap people tell themselves to give a warm feeling while they continue to make money
Two Wrongs Do Not Make A Right

Now you're saying if it's not fitted properly then it's ok. One rule for vented and one unvented is it.

Anything will fail if it's neglected, or not fitted properly, there are thousands of expansion vessels in peoples homes, do you think that's a first to go, cause you're living in cloud cookoo land if you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back