Exposed Beam insulation and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I need some opinions/ideas on my insulation options. I have searched the forums but not seen anything that fits my exact situation so I wanted to double check.
I have recently bought a house in the lower Blue mountains where it gets quite cold in the winter. About half the house's ceiling area has exposed beams...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28041512/WP_20140714_001.jpg

In the photo you can see the 190mm beams and the ceiling which is a single layer of cement board, silver sarking on top of that (shiny side up), followed by 13mm timber battens and then the roof tiles. The roof is sloping at about 15 degrees.
At night the ceiling temp is the external temperature (unless we have heaters on full) and can get quite warm during summer days.

In the photo you can see a strip of light coloured timber which will be something to screw a new lower ceiling to (so I can keep 100mm of the exposed beams to keep some character)

My options:
1) stick radiant heat reflective wrap (shiny side down) on the current ceiling then just add the new gyprock ceiling (air gap about 90mm).

2) Fill the 90mm space with some fibreglass batts (which I already have and split easily to 90mm thickness) then the gyprock.

3) Both 1 and 2 combined

My questions/issues:
For 1) Will this be effective year round?

For 2) Will a 90mm section of r3.5 insulation do enough?

For 3) Will the batts touching the silver sheet reduce the sheet's effectiveness too much?

For all) Do I need to add ventilation to this space? Possibly wire mesh covering some drilled holes at the top/bottom noggins?

I'm mainly considering batts (cos I have em) and sarking (cos it's cheap).

Any opinions/ideas are welcome. Please keep in mind I'm a tight arse but value long term comfort that I know is due to any work I do.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back