Insulation - I need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To All!!

Our timber frame company sent 6 different types of insulation for the new dormer bungalow we've just built. I think i know where each of the different types go, but would like to have a second opinion!!

The insulation types are:

1/ 140mm thick Fibreglass Batts
2/ 90mm thick Fibreglass Batts
3/ 100mm thick Fibreglass Rolls
4/ 170mm thick Fibreglass Rolls
5/ 100mm Kingspan
6/ 40mm Kingspan

The 140mm batts are for the external walls, the 90mm batts are for the internal walls (for sound insulation). The 100mm Rolls go between the trusses, and the 170mm goes on top of the 100mm in a perpendicular direction.

There is enough 100mm Fibreglass roll to go inbetween the 1st floor joists, would this be correct?

And finally the kingspan im presuming is for between rafters between the ceiling tie and the external wall? (remember, dormer bungalow).

The reason im confused is because they have sent 40mm and 100mm kinspan to fill the 6" rafter space - why not send 1 sheet of the correct thickness so i dont have to double cut and double fit?!!

Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

Peterb

Sponsored Links
or should i just call a building inspector because each and every house has different insulating needs?

Why don't you ask the company? The kingspan is possibly to go between (100mm) and over/under (40mm)

I presume the ground floor is insulated?

1) Preseumably this is a kit for the whole house?
2) Why don't you call your timber frame supplier? Would they not be best qualified to tell you?
3) Do you not think your inspector will direct you to the supplier of your kit house?
4) Kingspan make around 35 different types of insulation, they make many different thickness's of insulation so that different thickness's can be combined to achieve a chosen overall thickness. Sometimes insulation is designed to fit between rafters with a separate layer beneath. How would we know which kind of the 6 types of insulation you have been supplied with fits in which particular area of your kit?

Sponsored Links
deluks, this was the next step in my plan, but i wanted to crack on with the insulating tomorrow and i doubt they will be open on bank holiday monday. Im thinking im just going to have to wait it out for a day! The ground floor is already insulated yes, so nothing is needed there.

freddy,

1 yes the kit is for the whole house,
2 & 3 i think i will be calling the supplier,
4 i thought there might be a standard thickness and type of insulation for each section, eg 140mm for externals walls, etc. Judging by the tone of your reply i presume not though!

thanks anyway for replying - it is appreciated.

peterb

The reason im confused is because they have sent 40mm and 100mm kinspan to fill the 6" rafter space - why not send 1 sheet of the correct thickness so i dont have to double cut and double fit?!!

As others have stated above peter none of us can categorically state "what goes where" - only the supplier/specifier can confirm. However, it is standard practice to have a 50mm ventilated airspace the above the insulation. Ergo, it's a good bet that 100mm goes flush to the underside of your rafters and then you use the 40mm under the rafters - crossboarding as it were.

The rest of your gear is a bit harder to fathom... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back