Exposed cables on Replacement Electric Shower (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Mira electric shower broke after just 1 year and we decided to replace it with the highly recommend Triton T80. Electrician fitted it this morning and struggled to position it with the way the water pipe feeds in. This has left part of water pipe and some electrical cable exposed. I am extremely concerned about the safety of these cables being exposed, plus water/steam entering the gaps as well as it being quite unsighly. What can we do to resolve this issue? Husband is suggesting silicone but I'm not convinced! Surely this is very dangerous!!

Attachments

• 20240202_111058.jpg
    20240202_111058.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20240202_111102.jpg
    20240202_111102.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20240202_111822.jpg
    20240202_111822.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
The sheath (grey outer covering) of the cable should enter the shower; no brown, blue or green&yellow wires should be visible.

If that were done properly then it would be safer and the hole could be filled.

It might have been difficult or even actually impossible with that shower but that is not a good job.

The fitter could have at least put some heat shrink sleeving on there.

Wrong on so many levels. Apart from the exposure of single sheathed cables, water will migrate behind the tiles into the wall substrate from both electrical and piping openings. If the original Mira unit covered both electrical and plumbing penetrations then I'd suggest you get a replacement Mira unit identical to the original and sell the triton on fleabay.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Our Mira electric shower broke after just 1 year and we decided to replace it with the highly recommend Triton T80. Electrician fitted it this morning and struggled to position it with the way the water pipe feeds in. This has left part of water pipe and some electrical cable exposed. I am extremely concerned about the safety of these cables being exposed, plus water/steam entering the gaps as well as it being quite unsighly. What can we do to resolve this issue? Husband is suggesting silicone but I'm not convinced! Surely this is very dangerous!!
And you should be concerned.

Dreadful job.

Another design of shower unit is probably the best solution - I would get another Mira, so the cable and pipe positions should line up nicely as before.

The fitter should have told you that it is not possible to fit the Triton.

I think you'll agree anyone can see it's not a suitable shower for the job.

At twelve months old the Mira shower should just about be in warranty - I'd be chasing them for a replacement.

Your Electrician should be embarrassed with that fit! WTF did he agree to doing that fit. It's a problem with electric showers that there is not a standard size and layout between makes (and sometimes within makes). I have to agree with Jackrae above - water behind the tiles is not good - I've seen a shower wall collapse through water ingress through the grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back