Exposed incoming supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is fed from overhead cable. Supply in house is TN-C-S. I have a single cable from wooden plyon outside house. Where it attaches to side of house it splits into two (This split can be seen and reached if leaning out a window.) The single cable outer then becomes my neutral and earth with the inner core the phase. The inner cable conducter can be seen and when I went across this to the earth/neutral I get 147 v ac. Should this split of the main cable before it enters my house be in a suitable waterproff box and is it my responsibility to do this?

Help much appriciated.

Gus

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a concentric joint gone wrong. Where one cable splits into phase and the PME conductor. The join doesn't have to be in a box, they usually just wrap it in shrink-covering and special tape of some sort. Theres about 3 of these joints on my house. If there are bare copper/aluminium cables exposed, telephone the electricity supplier straight away. This is not a job for you to be doing, and indeed those cables belong to the electricity distribution people.

EDIT: get a photo while its still light ;)

Yes, get the DNO out to fix it, and please don't poke a multimeter or anything else at it again :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have to say, the joints on my house do look a lot neater than that! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back